100s of deer pics and 8 of this Mt Lion during Jan

brad nsw

Oct 24, 2015
Checked my cameras last weekend. They were out for most of Jan.

Lots of deer. 100+ pics (several spikes and two nice forkies) plus this big Mountain Lion.

He was RIGHT UNDER MY TREE STAND and about a 1/2 mile from my basecamp site during deer season. From the time stamps, he was there from around 5-8AM.

Saw one solo hunting 3 seasons ago while I was crawling (hands and knees) through some thick Manzanita. He was about 50 yds away and stared at me for 10 seconds, then disappeared. Talk about hair on the back of your neck standing up. Called a hunting buddy and told him which canyon I was in and to send out S&R if I didn't call back in an hour. All's well that ends well...

Attachments

• SUNP0720.JPG
    SUNP0720.JPG
    547.6 KB · Views: 75
Monster! Very well fed and in prime age/shape.
Nice area you have found the hunt!

nice pic... stated above is that the deer split when a lion is around, I wonder how true that is? Not trying to second guess anyones experience around lions and deer. I'm my zone I've heard about lions around but still see deer every time out? I hope the deer stay and you knock down a buck come opening day, good luck!

Checked cameras and looks like the big cat was just passing through. Plenty of deer on all cameras. Looks like all the antlers have dropped. Saw a couple of bucks with bone spots on their forhead.

Anyone know when they drop in SD county?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu