12x?

SurfNHuntSD

Oct 1, 2013
San Diego
www.sandiegoturkey.com
Thinking of upgrading my glass and was wondering how useful a pair of 12x are as my main chest binos instead of 10x42? I have no experience with 12x off hand... Just wondering if I'm wasting my time considering something too heavy/shaky for chest carry?

Hiking stick, shooting sticks even tightening your bino harness can stabilize your binos.
Just got my new nimrod harness and it stabilized my binos......my old one was all stretched out.
I run 10's on my neck & 12-15 from the truck, might ditch the 15 for 18

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
I don’t think going to a 12 is going to make you start finding animals you weren’t finding with your 10’s. If you feel like you need more magnification to help you find animals I would add a 15x to your kit. In an effort to save weight some guys are going with just a 12 instead of a 10 and 15. Many say it’s a good compromise between magnification and ability to hand hold. I would say if you don’t want to carry two sets of binos go with the 12’s. But if your primary goal is finding more game and you don’t mind a little extra weight... get some 15’s. The 15’s are responsible for a lot of dead animals.

In an effort to save weight some guys are going with just a 12 instead of a 10 and 15. Many say it’s a good compromise between magnification and ability to hand hold.
This is what my thinking was basically. Right now I only have my 10x42 and a spotter but need to upgrade my 10x since they are getting old and beat up.. and since I don't have the cash to invest in 15x right now I was thinking of trying to meet in the middle with a 12x set to carry on my chest.

I don’t think going to a 12 is going to make you start finding animals you weren’t finding with your 10’s. If you feel like you need more magnification to help you find animals I would add a 15x to your kit. In an effort to save weight some guys are going with just a 12 instead of a 10 and 15. Many say it’s a good compromise between magnification and ability to hand hold. I would say if you don’t want to carry two sets of binos go with the 12’s. But if your primary goal is finding more game and you don’t mind a little extra weight... get some 15’s. The 15’s are responsible for a lot of dead animals.

Nailed it... Ed F

Reactions: NBK and nicapopolis
10's are as big as you should shoulder carry because of stability unless you go to a tripod. After that 15's with a tripod are next up and then a spotter or Swaro BTX's which are a whole another level of financing to see better. BTX's are the best the game can be played but it takes $ to go there. I will someday own them but not now.. stick with Swarovski or Leica when you go big, their glass is the best and that is what it comes down to see far and recognize game because of glass quality and coatings. Magnifcation means nothing is defination and color separation are not there. There are other's that come close but if you have the funds those are my recommendation's for a buy once cry once purchase.

If you're packing in deep and having concerns about weight and being able to hold and view thru them even when your pulse is up quite a bit from the hike-in, and you're heading into thicker narrow canyons with them anyway, you don't need more than 8x. Max 10x with just hand-holding. I've got 15s and ya kinda can hand-hold 'em but the jitteryness of the view will quickly stress your vision and cause eye-strain. But 15s on a tripod? It's magical! A Game Changer for sure. So sometimes you put up with 15s for quick offhand-checks of false targets in the FOV. But for the most part you're using and enjoying them on the Tripod! With 15s you truly are seeing things there is no way of seeing with just your own vision un-aided.

I have a buddy who pulls it off pretty well. I definitely get the appeal for saving a few lb's in the pack...especially when packing the meat out. But I don't know if I will ever give up my 15's with 9'x on the chest....

This is what my thinking was basically. Right now I only have my 10x42 and a spotter but need to upgrade my 10x since they are getting old and beat up.. and since I don't have the cash to invest in 15x right now I was thinking of trying to meet in the middle with a 12x set to carry on my chest.

Ditch the spotter and get the 15's.

Reactions: TheGDog and JakeSCH
I use my 15s way more than my chest Binos. Literally 10 animals and counting since I got the 15s. I’ve had them 2 season. Won’t leave home without them.

Jason, screw the spotter like many others have said. Get 15s. If you are trying to determine if you should chase a 165 buck or a 185 buck, then maybe a spotter, but I think you are moving closer as soon as you realize it is "A" buck.

I am in the market for a new spotter, but I like to film and take pictures around here, but it is all private and we do a lot of scouting from the truck. I'd use 15s for sure if I was sitting somewhere to glass.

Had me at "scouting from the truck" nic...they make some wicked window mounts for spotters.

Reactions: nicapopolis

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu