.177 Rifle

Juan

Jul 10, 2017
Hello Guys,

what is a good .177 rifle for rabbit hunting? I had a gamo and it was pretty good rifle. thank you guys!

Hello Guys,

what is a good .177 rifle for rabbit hunting? I had a gamo and it was pretty good rifle. thank you guys!
Not a Gamo fan but have only owned one cheapy. I would get .22 for hunting. Heavier pellets, much more knock down power and fewer wounded runaways. I'm pretty happy with my Benjamin Discovery model.

I shoot a Beeman GS 1000, 22 cal.

It's obviously not in the league of the stuff Dana (Crossman) shoots.....But, it's deadly on rabbits, squirrels, crows, etc. inside 60 yards.

.rabbits 7-30-12 006.JPG

Reactions: Californio
Crossman nitro 22 cal knocks them down. don't get the cheaper models. reviews state the facts , they fall apart & are not as accurate. just saying. deadly on rabbits, I have 12 notches. and a bunch of squeakers. there is difference in opinion on ammo. but I use the hollow tip lead. and it works.

Reactions: Bonejour
Crossman nitro 22 cal knocks them down. don't get the cheaper models. reviews state the facts , they fall apart & are not as accurate. just saying. deadly on rabbits, I have 12 notches. and a bunch of squeakers. there is difference in opinion on ammo. but I use the hollow tip lead. and it works.

I agree on the inaccuracy of cheaper models. I have a Benjamin Regal break-Barrel, which I bought at Big 5 to take out rats in my garden. I needed a very quiet airgun. It's quiet alright, but not accurate enough to hit a rat much beyond 25 yards. I've tried different pellets, wearing in the barrel, and replacing the scope. It's just not going to give less than a 1in group at 20 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome you have chosen an Airrifle to hunt with, they can be very rewarding tools in the field for small game. As mentioned I would recommend a .22 and the fpe would be greater at out to 60 yards. I don't hunt much with piston guns but have had my hands on a few. Without spending a fortune and if all you want is a casual type hunter I would recommend something with a nitro piston. You can check pyramidair.com browse or see if you can find a Benjamin NPXL .22/ *Note- the newer NP2 models are not as nice in my opinion and believe you can still find the gen1 models being sold. I have found them to be quite pleasurable to shoot and do have good power. Without spending more you really won't find the perfect combo but enough to get by on. The PCP route may be a bigger commitment than your ready for. Plenty of high end piston guns may give you better accuracy and trigger but in the end your still limited to shorter distances. Have fun and let us know what you decided on!

Awesome you have chosen an Airrifle to hunt with, they can be very rewarding tools in the field for small game. As mentioned I would recommend a .22 and the fpe would be greater at out to 60 yards. I don't hunt much with piston guns but have had my hands on a few. Without spending a fortune and if all you want is a casual type hunter I would recommend something with a nitro piston. You can check pyramidair.com browse or see if you can find a Benjamin NPXL .22/ *Note- the newer NP2 models are not as nice in my opinion and believe you can still find the gen1 models being sold. I have found them to be quite pleasurable to shoot and do have good power. Without spending more you really won't find the perfect combo but enough to get by on. The PCP route may be a bigger commitment than your ready for. Plenty of high end piston guns may give you better accuracy and trigger but in the end your still limited to shorter distances. Have fun and let us know what you decided on!
Thank you for posting this. I went ahead and bought the NP XL. Got it today. Need to put 250 rounds through it before I even start to sight it in. A review on Amazon said to basically take it all apart and locktight all the screws. Is that something you do too?

I have a few pesky ground squirrels and voles on the property that need to go.

Not to mention potential rats in the barn. Raccoons are also fair game.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Crosman999
Awesome!! Yes a good tightening of all screws is a great idea. The gun will take awhile to break in, "note" never dry fire a piston gun,may result in damage. I would shoot cheap pellets that will get you on paper and break the gun in. After gun starts tightening up switch to a higher end JSB brand pellet. I would try the 16gr and 18gr both. Have fun and don't hesitate to leave some photographs of you with your new gun.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu