.17HMR Thoughts and Opinions

SoCalRebelHunter

Sworn to hunt, Loyal to none
Jan 22, 2012
East El Cajon
Been kicking around the idea of getting a .17HMR for quite a while now. Something with a little more excitement an pop that the old 22LR just doesn't quite have. Anybody have one? Like it? Love it? Hate it?

I'm had nothing but success with my other Savage rifles so I'd probably go that route. Plus, I don't want to break the bank. I know it's not ideal for predators but it seems like it'll do the trick. I've got the .223 already, just want something different.

My buddy has one. It's a fun gun for plinking and seems ammo is more readily available for it right now than the 22s
Not to good for predaters, I've seen three coyotes that were hit from 8 yards to 75 yards. I'm sure they all died but none were found.

Ammo is about the same as 22 mag (not cheap) but it's a great ground squirrel round. I have one but because of ammo cost I mostly use my 22 for squirrel eradication. The 17 drops them in their tracks where as with the 22 they run off and die

Excellent round for sure. A coyote stopper in close and accurate as well as fun. Go forward, you will be stoked!

I have one Rebel and I love it. Alot of fun to shoot. There is another thread on this topic in this forum from about a month ago that SpotDropper started, check it out. There is some good info posted up already for you.

Years ago, a buddy of mine bought one. He came rabbit hunting with my brothers and I- he with the .17, we with .22's and .22 Mag. He would shoot a cottontail, and we would have to finish them off. I wasn't impressed with its performance on rabbits. I know, it wasn't enough of a broad base for judgment, but after watching a rabbit run 60 yards dragging its entrails behind him, I wasn't too excited about getting one. My .22 mag and the .22's (shooting CCI Stingers) NEVER produced these kinds of results- even on the poorly-placed shots.

Its a great squirrel gun and its a great rabbit gun too. I don't have the same problems that EM had at all. The few rabbits that I have killed dropped like rocks.

Check out the Savage B Mag riffle, in .17 Winchester Super Mag. This round is the one that NBK was talking about in a different thread. This is a totally bad ass round for urban varminting. Winchester developed this round based on a round used for nail guns. Like NBK said, it is the new king of rimfire. MSRP on this riffle is $350. When they hit the shelf I will be signing up for one.

Attachments

• Savage-BMAG-rifle.jpg
    Savage-BMAG-rifle.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 81
Me three! I had no idea about this gun/caliber! That is impressive. Forget about the 17HMR, that B Mag has my name written all over it. Any idea when Fine Firearms will be getting any in? I am a Savage guy, afterall...only makes sense for me to have one!

Fine Firearms has one in their shop right now
I almost bought it but went with a
savage 93r17 btvs in .17 hmr

El Matavenados said:
Years ago, a buddy of mine bought one. He came rabbit hunting with my brothers and I- he with the .17, we with .22's and .22 Mag. He would shoot a cottontail, and we would have to finish them off. I wasn't impressed with its performance on rabbits. I know, it wasn't enough of a broad base for judgment, but after watching a rabbit run 60 yards dragging its entrails behind him, I wasn't too excited about getting one. My .22 mag and the .22's (shooting CCI Stingers) NEVER produced these kinds of results- even on the poorly-placed shots.
Tell him to quit shooting them I the tail. I've blown the opposite side legs off of full size jackrabbits with mine. Way more knock down power than a 22LR or a 22mag IMO.

SoCalRebelHunter said:
Seemed like a REALLY fun squirrel gun after I saw this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK7Tc7X5Ueo

Pretty Cool Video... I have not seen that many ground squrriels in one area besides out at Lindo Lake where they can't be shot... Although a small airgun might be easy enough to get away with... lol ;D ;D

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu