19 Year Old NEWB Looking for Coyote in Socal

Alexlomeli27

Jan 20, 2020
Hello, I am a 19 year old first gen hunter from Los Angeles, no family or friends that hunt so I’m trying to soak up as muck knowledge and pick as many brains as possible. Very eager and excited to learn the ropes just received my hunting license a couple days ago. I have a M&P 15-22 and just purchased a Ruger American predator .308 and was very interested in going after some coyote. I would appreciate any type of help, if anyone could help me with the general areas I should be heading towards or any tips you’d be willing to share. Thank you, hope you all have a good year.

Yotes are practically everywhere... look for scat and tracks for proof and start calling to see what happens. If nothing happens move on to the next spot. Eventually you'll find one. Night hunting is even more fun.

Get OnX Go to public land, find a raised position for your stand with something against your back like a rock or bush. Make sure the wind is in your face or a side wind. The wind is the most important part. For just starting out play rabbit distress sounds 15 minutes end the set with pup in distress. When the coyote comes in hammer him. It’s really that simple. You got this.

Get OnX Go to public land, find a raised position for your stand with something against your back like a rock or bush. Make sure the wind is in your face or a side wind. The wind is the most important part. For just starting out play rabbit distress sounds 15 minutes end the set with pup in distress. When the coyote comes in hammer him. It’s really that simple. You got this.
Awesome, thank you for the pointers

Alex,

Welcome to SCH...LOts of coyotes on the fringes of LA county...Find legal areas to shoot (having a shotgun will help too)...Remember, you must have "green" ammo....Grrr

Thank you, do you know where I could find the information regarding legal areas to shoot?
There is a really crappy shooting map for LA county from the 90's. The areas that match up with NF boundaries are pretty clear. The rest... I use good judgement in some spots.

Reactions: Alexlomeli27
Wish I got started at 19...at that age I was in a band looking to rock the free world...didnt get into hunting until I was 29...that was 2 years ago lol

All I can say is take notes from the guys on here and spend time in the field.

Got your PM but it was locked wierd .
Reasonably cheap mouth calls,
#1 rabbit distress calls
#2 fawn distress call.
#3 electronic calls for coyote only.

All national Forest or blm not closed.
Close due fire hazard ect.
Some areas don't allow long guns.

#3 make sure laws and regulations.

Look for sign while hiking.(scat, dog like tracks, ) get to know coyote habits and territory.

Don't waste your time if lack of sign.
Keep looking.

All above is all good.
Get well camouflage, I like spot high on a hill with a good 180 degree view or more.
Coyotes like to circle around you.
Look for well used animal trails. Not human. Trap said a gold nugget. Go out skirts of farms or ranches that is public.
No private with out permission.
By a compass, and national Forest maps.
Ivhunter has it right. Onxhunt is a very valuable tool. Buy it.
Don't forget a safety beacon up the road.
And hope you never need it.
It has happened even to seasoned hikers.
P.s. read read and read all Calif. Game laws.

Wish I got started at 19...at that age I was in a band looking to rock the free world...didnt get into hunting until I was 29...that was 2 years ago lol

All I can say is take notes from the guys on here and spend time in the field.
Haha better late than never, thanks will do

Got your PM but it was locked wierd .
Reasonably cheap mouth calls,
#1 rabbit distress calls
#2 fawn distress call.
#3 electronic calls for coyote only.

All national Forest or blm not closed.
Close due fire hazard ect.
Some areas don't allow long guns.

#3 make sure laws and regulations.

Look for sign while hiking.(scat, dog like tracks, ) get to know coyote habits and territory.

Don't waste your time if lack of sign.
Keep looking.

All above is all good.
Get well camouflage, I like spot high on a hill with a good 180 degree view or more.
Coyotes like to circle around you.
Look for well used animal trails. Not human. Trap said a gold nugget. Go out skirts of farms or ranches that is public.
No private with out permission.
By a compass, and national Forest maps.
Ivhunter has it right. Onxhunt is a very valuable tool. Buy it.
Don't forget a safety beacon up the road.
And hope you never need it.
It has happened even to seasoned hikers.
P.s. read read and read all Calif. Game laws.
Sorry I’m still trying to figure this all out I’ve only been on here for like a day haha. But thank you for taking the time to type all of that and for all the tips, I will definitely take all of that into account and apply it to my hunts.

...bobcats and these are off limits. Don’t be surprised if one walks in on you while you’re calling....
32670fc554de644a9efeef1a17d0f09e.jpg
d8e49f240fa4e135bdd57bb10c88270d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu