1st tag draw

drvn67stang

Jun 2, 2014
Hi all,

New member and new hunter here. I just recently got my deer tags and I thought I read enough to be able to do this on my own.

My question is, did I limit myself on my 1st tag by only putting down Point Deer and no other choice?

I got a second tag for D15, D11, and D13 as well.

Is there any way that I can still use my 1st tag for let's say D17 or D16 after the draw is over?

Stumbled on this site after getting my license and tags. Great wealth of info and look forward to become successful at hunting.

Thanks in advance.

I hope Im right in answering this.......You should have put a draw tag as your second choice. Technically you only have a first tag. You are allowed two tags per year so you can get another tag. You should be able to get a d16 in July.

So I lost the possibility of drawing a second choice, lets say D16. Now I have to wait until July to see what is available, correct?

Next time I doubt it will be any less complicated, and even though you'll have another year under your belt, you'll still need good advice. Your local CDFW office can help, and if they can't give you clear advice then ask to speak to Lai Saecheo at the Sacramento office. Also some private license agents are better than others (Fine Firearms in La Mesa will give you great advice and run the purchase for you). If you are a bow hunter, your local archery pro staff can give you good advice.
Bottom line: it will be a long time before you understand the system well enough to do it on your own. :)

Sent via Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up, I have been seeing Fine Firearms pop up a lot in this forum. Too bad they are not local to me. Just getting the license and tags has been exciting, can't wait to get out there and put some work in.

Although there are some very knowledgeable hunters on these boards, this kind of question is best answered by your local DFW office or maybe by calling the number to the online sales office ((800) 565-1458) or license office in Sacramento ((916) 928-5805). My guess would be that you may have messed up. But, I don't even put myself in the "knowledgeable hunters" category so who knows...lol

That what I was thinking as well, I will give them a call and see what the outcome is. I posted here as well because maybe someone else has been in the same situation or will be.

drvn67stang said:
Hi all,

New member and new hunter here. I just recently got my deer tags and I thought I read enough to be able to do this on my own.

My question is, did I limit myself on my 1st tag by only putting down Point Deer and no other choice?

I got a second tag for D15, D11, and D13 as well.

Is there any way that I can still use my 1st tag for let's say D17 or D16 after the draw is over?

Stumbled on this site after getting my license and tags. Great wealth of info and look forward to become successful at hunting.

Thanks in advance.

"Is there any way that I can still use my 1st tag for let's say D17 or D16 after the draw is over?" Nope - you burned it getting a PD (Point Deer).

If you submitted a PD (Point Deer) as your first choice on the first deer tag drawing application and you left your second and third choice blank, you will get the default point for deer. At this point your first deer tag drawing application is completed and closed. Now if you have submitted your second deer tag drawing application you will receive the tag you put in for in the order you chose if available. If you did not submit your second deer tag drawing application you would have been eligible to purchase a leftover premium tag on July 2nd at 8:00 AM. But if you already submitted your second deer tag drawing application...well, you are done.

Hope this helped.

Thanks for the clarification, I won't make that mistake again, I should have just put in choices instead of PD.

Per request
esamuret.jpg

To add an update, I called DFG and I was able to add D14 as a second choice. Couldn't add any premium zones because the deadline was June 2.

drvn67stang said:
To add an update, I called DFG and I was able to add D14 as a second choice. Couldn't add any premium zones because the deadline was June 2.
Thanks for the update.
Beautiful ride. 8)

Sent via Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu