1st tanning job

steveo007

Nov 24, 2011
chula vista
always wanted to try tanning a hide, so came across a nice clean fresh road kill raccoon.
took him home skinned & fleshed him then into the freezer. This was a spur of the moment
I had no way t tan hide. Ordered me a home tanning kit from The Tannery Inc. mainly cuz
it was pretty simple no harsh chemicals,just a mixture of tanning crytals dissolved in waer
wit flower added then dried,adding tanning oil, then sanding and working the hide, Heres some pics.

Attachments

• coon1.jpg
    coon1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 51
  • coon2.jpg
    coon2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
When I was in Boy Scouts, we tanned hides with the animals' brains. I don't remember exactly, but we sort of mixed the brains in hot water and then worked that into the hide with a stick and a knife. It's the way people did it before they had internets and chemistry.

They even had a pithy little saying: "Every animal has enough brains to tan its own hide."

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu