2 pigs down with GSGS

Nicholas909

Suns out, Guns Out
Sep 1, 2014
Yucaipa
Had another fun hunt with Neil & KC. Got 1 in the morning, then the second later that night. They really made us work for it.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    764.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1397.JPG
    IMG_1397.JPG
    957.6 KB · Views: 47
NBK said:
Fill us in on the details. Distance, caliber, guns etc.
Both rifles are Ruger Americans with Boyd's laminate stock's, both have the action glass bedded. My dads is a 270 win shooting Hornadys Full Boar 130gr. GMX. Topped with a Redfield Revolution 4-12x40 sighted in at 100 yards. Mine is a 7mm-08 shooting Hornady's Superformance 139gr. GMX. topped with a Redfield Revenge 3-9x42 sighted in at 200 yards.
We got to Springville and met up with Neil around noon on Friday to get settled in at the trailer and relax a little before our evening hunt. Neil pick us up around 2:30, we stopped picked up KC and headed to Woodlake. Same property I got my pig last year. When we got there Neil had KC take us up the first hill we came to while he ran up the bigger Hill next to us to try and spook up some pigs from beeding down. A little while after getting to the top Neil radioed us that he spotted 3 pig on the west slope that he was on. So we made our way down and over to the next ridge across from Neil. We got to the top and there was 3 pigs with about 6 piglets at 350 moving away from us. My dad was going to be the first shooter on this trip and 250 yards would be his max. So Neil ran down the ridge to get the pigs moving back in our direction while we got set up. Neil got the pigs to turn back towards us and were heading right into range when they decide to take another path. My dad got up and ran to another spot to try and take an offhand shot, but couldn't find them thru the scope. He had his scope set to 12. We tried to follow them, but they gave us the slip. The first night ending with no pigs and a very tired & sore 60 yr old.
Neil picked us up at 5:15 Sat. morning and we head back to woodlake. We started by checking trails across the street from the property we hunted the night before. Neil spotted a group of pigs and said they were all boars, So he kicked us out of the truck and told Kc to get my dad on them quick. They were on the move back to there bedding. We jump the fence and Kc was on the move. I could tell my dad was still sore from the night before, but he did a great job running up the hill and getting into position. He lay ed down got control of his breathing And Kc ranged him at 150 yard up hill. Pig's started to move again & he took the shot. Hit the pig a little far back but came out towrads the front shoulder and it dropped about 10 yards after being hit. Turns out it was actually a sow. Neil radioed us that there was 2 more groups above us, So Kc and I started to make our way to the east saddle and move to the top tyring to cut them off before they got to there bedding. After a long painful hike to the top, they just disappeared. We glassed for awhile hoping to spot them, but ended the morning with my dads first pig.
After eating lunch, relaxing and taking some Ibuprofen we headed out for our evening hunt. We went to the same spot that we saw the small group from the night before. Once again Neil was on the high ridge across from us. We glassed the whole area with no luck. So we started to work our way down the south face of the ridge when Neil called and said he found some movement. So we went back up and found a sow with 2 piglet. we watched her for awhile hoping a boar would pop out. It didn't happen. It was just them. Neil took off down the east face of the ridge in hopes to scare up some bedding pig. So while we were sitting there, off in the distance Coyotes started to howl. The next we hear is a group of coyotes on our ridge. So out of fun, KC give a little squeal from his hand. A big Alpha jumps out from behind a rock about 15 yard away & starts growling. He was not happy we were there. This is the first time I ever had a Coyote growl at me. I raised my rifle put the cross hairs on him and pulled the trigger. That was the start of the jokes for the rest of the night. I completely missed him. Neil made his way back over to us about 20 min. later. After filling him in on my amazing shooting skills, and taking some more jokes. We told him we haven't seen any movement. Neil's response was "You don't want to shoot that big boar over there?" We all said what boar. Neil told us where to look and sure enough there was a pig around 1500yards away below another ridge. We had about 25 Minutes till last shot, so Neil asked if I could make there in time. I told him "Of course lets get going." Neil asked how close i need to be, My response was "anything over 20yards". We made it down the hill and back up another small hill to get into position. The monster of a pig steps out from behind a tree at 268yards. I put the cross hairs on him & try to get my breathing under control. I held my breath a little to long and jerked my trigger. The pig jumped, did a little face plant and started to limp before he took off on a full sprint. I let my second shot fly and the shot went right over his back and to the rear. He stopped running and hide behind a tree for a few seconds. I had one more round left. Neil ranged him again at 250yard I made an adjustment to my scope the pig took off running from behind the tree I put the cross hairs right on his front shoulder, and let the round fly. He hit the ground, tumbled a couple times, tried to get up once and his back legs were limp. He fell for good. I hit him top back of the shoulder blade and it severed his spine. The first shot actually hit him in the rear leg.

Sounds like quite an adventure! Congratulations on the pigs, and get 'em next time on the yote :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu