2013 Utah buck hunt !!!!!!!!!!

BuckHunter

“Venison” It’s what’s for dinner!
Feb 3, 2011
I just got home. Give me a few hours to eat, unpack and wash the blood off the Razer. Stay tuned !

Few hours?......just eat and let's see it!

First year I didn't go to UT......man I miss being at 11k chasing 170's

MJB said:
Few hours?......just eat and let's see it!

First year I didn't go to UT......man I miss being at 11k chasing 170's

Don't get your hopes up. These are about 100 inches less than a 170............ Ha........

That's fine!

Better than what I got last year.......nada!

I just love that state for hunting! If it had good jobs, ocean & lots of good looking women I'd be gone!

Our 2013 Utah deer hunt was great but did have it’s up’s and down’s. The kids had a great time shooting their bows and .22 and the teenagers learned to drive the new RZR. The day before opener I hung my stand in the “Gauntlet” , a spot where I hunted last year and got trail-cam pictures of a few 4x4’s. But this year I only saw a small forky, one bull elk and then the cattle moved in and took over. I pulled the stand out and tried a new spot a new friend told me about. It was a crowded treeline with 4 other hunters in treestands but I did see a bunch of deer. Most were does and a few spikes and small forkys. That went on for a few days. On Tuesday my wife shot a forky at last light. We let it sit overnight and when we found it in the morning the butt end had been eaten by coyotes or a bear.

My older brother shot a forky with his re-curve bow. The buck ran off and was standing by a fence a few hundred yards away. As he waited for the buck to bed a young kid came by on a ATV and shot it right in the pocket. The boy was “special needs” , he thought he missed and left. My brother found the buck and the kids bloody arrow. He then found the kids camp and talked to his dad and gave the buck to the kid. He was so stoked. My brother didn't get another buck but was happy with the outcome.

My younger brother shot a 2x3. His 5 year old daughter was right there with him and took the pictures for him so that was cool for him.
Our friend and his grandson both got bucks. Earl shot a really nice 3x3 and the boy age 15 shot his first deer, a 2x2.

One funny moment was when my 5 year old daughter thought no one was looking and she grabbed her little bow and whizzed an arrow 10 feet in the direction of a few doe that were passing by camp. My brother busted her and reminded her we only shoot the daddy deer.

I was passing on 5 to 7 bucks a day. Just all small spikes and forkys. On Tuesday night after everyone was in bed I was getting my gear ready for the morning. Warring only socks and my Not so “Lucky Boxers” I went outside the trailer to get something. With all the lights out, I missed the first step and fell down the 4 steps and broke a few toe's.. Everyone got out of bed and ran over to help and all I could think of was that my hunt was over……………. I was so pissed. Three toes were black and blue the next day. I could not climb a tree but did get on a few good stalks by Thursday afternoon. One was a nice 3x3 but he busted me as I limped through the woods. Friday was my last day to hunt so I hunted all day still with a limp. At 7:00 PM, just 45 minutes before dark I spot a giant 25 inch wide, 130 inch 2x2 with eye guards. I put on a good stalk and got to 40 yards. He was quartering away hard with his head and vitals behind a bush. No buck fever, but the pressure to tag out in less than an hour was unreal. The doe he was with spotted me. I pulled back and aimed right in back of his last rib. A quartering away heart shot I have made many times before. Well………. The wind, the buck, or me must have moved a bit. Not sure where it hit but that buck went far. I waited an hour and started trailing him. My wife showed up with the kids and flashlights. It was a zoo. The kids were hungry and running all over the blood trail. I finally sat them down in the dark forest and let them play Angry Birds on my phone. I should have pull off and waited till morning but was worried the pending rain would wash away the blood trail. The trail started off great and then thinned out, then it would start up heavy again. My wife finally took the kids to camp and sent more help. There were 4 of us trailing until 10:30 at night when we called it quits for the night. At 6:30 AM we started back on the trail. The buck had hit a cattle fence and was too weak to jump and turned to walk down the fence line. My help gave up after 8:00 AM and I stayed on it until I lost the trail at 12:30. I’m so bummed. I know it happens but I haven't lost a buck sense 2008 and forgot what it feels like……... Just sick about it. I really thought we would find him in the morning. On my way back to camp I shot the first buck that I saw for the meat. That little spike was in the wrong place at the wrong time. All 20 inches of him. I pulled into camp and boned him out as my wife was packing up camp.

Still limping and still sick about him. …………… It maybe time to give up these stinky boxers.

Attachments

• 08220034.JPG
    08220034.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • DSC_0195.JPG
    DSC_0195.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 15
  • DSC_0201.JPG
    DSC_0201.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 12
More

Attachments

• DSC_0213.JPG
    DSC_0213.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 12
  • DSC_0252.JPG
    DSC_0252.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 16
Lots of 50 inch trails were installed this year, so the quad is key to get back to some areas.

Attachments

• IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 13
Sorry so many posts. It will only let me do a few pictures each.

With my broken toes I put my brothers kid to work.

Attachments

• IMG_4821.jpg
    IMG_4821.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0617.jpg
    IMG_0617.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0610.jpg
    IMG_0610.jpg
    398.7 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_0614.jpg
    IMG_0614.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0030.JPG
    IMG_0030.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 16
More

Attachments

• 08170341.JPG
    08170341.JPG
    639.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 08170224.JPG
    08170224.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • Tash 2013.JPG
    Tash 2013.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 14
Something ate good that night.

Attachments

• IMG_0013.JPG
    IMG_0013.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 17
No elk tag?

Looks like a great time!

I feel your pain on the lost buck.......my last one was a doe in Laguna the next year I had a blood trailing dog and have never lost one yet shes helped many hunters turn a frown up side down!

well that sucks about ur toesbro, but, congratz! sounds like a trip u will never foget! thanks for sharing :)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu