2017 Idaho Mule Deer

Boomstick

Nov 16, 2011
“What the heck, where are all the mature bucks”?

This may have been the most commonly uttered phrase for our 2017 Idaho hunt. The weather started out fantastic as mother nature graced our hunting area with 8” of fresh snow the day before our arrival. We couldn’t have asked for better luck, the cold front should have got the bigger bucks up and moving around looking for doe’s. Should have……..

Well that snow melted off immediately as the next 6 days brought daytime temperatures in the low 60’s. Hunting mule deer in T shirts was not exactly optimal conditions. The smaller bucks were up and moving around but we were having a heck of a time locating any mature deer. We were seeing 60-80 deer a day with a handful of young bucks mixed in, but nothing worth putting a stalk on. We spent a lot of time looking through the glass but a different tactic turned out to be the key in finding our only shooter buck of the trip.

As Kenny and my Dad sat glassing the massive landscape surrounding them they were constantly checking the various groups of doe’s scattered around the basin. Hoping that each time they checked in on them, a bigger buck may have moved in to join the group. As it turns out there was a group of 9 doe’s and fawns across the canyon that had been feeding on and off in a pocket of sage brush all day long. They had glassed this group of deer dozens of times throughout the day. At around 3:30 in the afternoon my dad decided to try one of his favorite tactics…... rolling rocks. Tactic is pretty simple; find a large rock or small boulder and send it over the edge to let gravity take over.

As my dad sent the last boulder down the canyon he picks up the binos and scans back over to the group of 9 deer that had been across the canyon all day. Now there were 10 deer and one of them had horns. After a quick look through the spotting scope Kenny was on his way to try and get in position for a shot. After about an hour, he was sitting around 285 yards from the buck. The buck goes down after a few (cough, cough) finely placed shots. As they say the work really begins after you have an animal down and it ended up taking 2 trips in and out of the depths of a nasty canyon to fully recover all of the meat.

Obviously the original goal of every hunting trip is for your hunting party to be “successful” and harvest a mature animal. However the older I get and the more trips I take, I am realizing that the “success” of the trip doesn’t hinge on everyone harvesting an animal. It reminds me of the closing quote from the “Wild America” series narrated by Marty Stouffer that I watched as a kid. He ended most episodes with “It’s not necessarily the catch or the kill, but the enjoyment of the outdoors”. That quote did not make much sense to me then but it sure does now.IMG_5633.JPG IMG_5678.JPG IMG_5669.JPG

This may have been the most commonly uttered phrase for our 2017 Idaho hunt. The weather started out fantastic as mother nature graced our hunting area with 8” of fresh snow the day before our arrival. We couldn’t have asked for better luck, the cold front should have got the bigger bucks up and moving around looking for doe’s. Should have……..

Well that snow melted off immediately as the next 6 days brought daytime temperatures in the low 60’s. Hunting mule deer in T shirts was not exactly optimal conditions. The smaller bucks were up and moving around but we were having a heck of a time locating any mature deer. We were seeing 60-80 deer a day with a handful of young bucks mixed in, but nothing worth putting a stalk on. We spent a lot of time looking through the glass but a different tactic turned out to be the key in finding our only shooter buck of the trip.

As Kenny and my Dad sat glassing the massive landscape surrounding them they were constantly checking the various groups of doe’s scattered around the basin. Hoping that each time they checked in on them, a bigger buck may have moved in to join the group. As it turns out there was a group of 9 doe’s and fawns across the canyon that had been feeding on and off in a pocket of sage brush all day long. They had glassed this group of deer dozens of times throughout the day. At around 3:30 in the afternoon my dad decided to try one of his favorite tactics…... rolling rocks. Tactic is pretty simple; find a large rock or small boulder and send it over the edge to let gravity take over.

As my dad sent the last boulder down the canyon he picks up the binos and scans back over to the group of 9 deer that had been across the canyon all day. Now there were 10 deer and one of them had horns. After a quick look through the spotting scope Kenny was on his way to try and get in position for a shot. After about an hour, he was sitting around 285 yards from the buck. The buck goes down after a few (cough, cough) finely placed shots. As they say the work really begins after you have an animal down and it ended up taking 2 trips in and out of the depths of a nasty canyon to fully recover all of the meat.

Obviously the original goal of every hunting trip is for your hunting party to be “successful” and harvest a mature animal. However the older I get and the more trips I take, I am realizing that the “success” of the trip doesn’t hinge on everyone harvesting an animal. It reminds me of the closing quote from the “Wild America” series narrated by Marty Stouffer that I watched as a kid. He ended most episodes with “It’s not necessarily the catch or the kill, but the enjoyment of the outdoors”. That quote did not make much sense to me then but it sure does now.View attachment 33643 View attachment 33644 View attachment 33645
Nice buck. Congrats.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Another great story Kyle.
Seams like it’s been a pretty rough year for Buck hunters in Idaho. Our group didn’t have any Deer tags this year and a good thing. We saw around 50 deer and not one buck.

Reactions: Boomstick

Obviously the original goal of every hunting trip is for your hunting party to be “successful” and harvest a mature animal. However the older I get and the more trips I take, I am realizing that the “success” of the trip doesn’t hinge on everyone harvesting an animal. It reminds me of the closing quote from the “Wild America” series narrated by Marty Stouffer that I watched as a kid. He ended most episodes with “It’s not necessarily the catch or the kill, but the enjoyment of the outdoors”. That quote did not make much sense to me then but it sure does now.View attachment 33643 View attachment 33644 View attachment 33645
Awesome buck!!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu