243 for CA pigs

TRICER

Dec 20, 2014
tricerusa.com
I want some opinions. I just booked a pig hunt for next May. I have a customer who is going to hunt and I am gonna have my oldest boy hunt. I will be along for the ride no hunting.
My kid shoots 243 really hot handloads Barnes 80g TTSX. I know this isn't the perfect load for pig but he will be way more accurate with this rifle than any large caliber rifle or adult framed rifle.
What is your take if I can keep him under 200 yards it should do it’s job if he puts it in the right place correct?

With good shot placement yeah I'd say you'll be fine. I've seen one my buddy shot in Hawaii walk away from a 30-30 hit, but my buddy in Texas also says they hunt em regularly with 223 ARs (using Hog Hammer ammo) and it's all good. Better to have your kid shoot a rifle he's comfortable with than have him jump up to a bigger gun he won't shoot well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I want some opinions. I just booked a pig hunt for next May. I have a customer who is going to hunt and I am gonna have my oldest boy hunt. I will be along for the ride no hunting.
My kid shoots 243 really hot handloads Barnes 80g TTSX. I know this isn't the perfect load for pig but he will be way more accurate with this rifle than any large caliber rifle or adult framed rifle.
What is your take if I can keep him under 200 yards it should do it’s job if he puts it in the right place correct?

My son killed a cow elk with the same caliber/ same Barnes 80 gr. TTSX.

My son killed a cow elk with the same caliber/ same Barnes 80 gr. TTSX.
Same RA rifle as your kids. I just got a muzzle brake for it to lessen the recoil.
I figured the copper TTSX would do the trick I just wanted to hear it from some others. The boys have a Javelina hunt in january in AZ and then this pig hunt. I am excited for them
to start shooting big game.

Same RA rifle as your kids. I just got a muzzle brake for it to lessen the recoil.
I figured the copper TTSX would do the trick I just wanted to hear it from some others. The boys have a Javelina hunt in january in AZ and then this pig hunt. I am excited for them
to start shooting big game.
Drew how did that muzzle break work

Drew how did that muzzle break work
I just got it in the mail I have to put it on and then we need to go shoot it. It’s hunting season so range time is few and far between. I will post up a picture on that muzzle brake thread soon and then report on recoil whenever we get a chance to shoot it.

I wouldn’t go 243 for pigs. I pulled a 243 mushroomed slug out of a pigs protective rib cage callus that was perfect shot placement. Mushroomed Barnes bullet and didn’t penetrate into chest cavity. No less than 25-06 imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu