.243 with copper 105 grain = Elk+

DanSanDiego

Venison for Thanksgiving 2016
Sep 18, 2014
To start this post I am officially declaring myself an armchair hunter. I realized this when I considered buying the Ruger American 30-06 in the classified section to compliment my .243 despite the fact that I've owned my .243 since December and have yet to sight it in (haven't fired a single round through the Savage Axis).

Getting back on topic. I've seen all the info on Copper bullets, as well as a the size (and expansion) of .243 ammo. Seems like a .243 shell with a 105 grain copper bullet would make it nearly impossible equivalent to a 130-150 grain lead bullet for 270. But in analyzing things further (as armchair hunters are known to do) the .243 may not be able to accurately project a 105 grain copper bullet.

Thoughts?

(Note: I've been working on my car too hard today and needed to get into a different frame of mind. So I thought I'd throw this topic out there. Enjoy the weekend and the great rain we had earlier - we're nearing our yearly average rainfall but still well behind average over the past 3 years.

DanSanDiego

I'm no rifle guy (own 4 or 5), but my daughter shoots the same rifle......I would sight it in with less costing lead. Then fine tune with copper......You still have this season that lead is legal anyway.

No one makes the 105grain copper that I'm aware of. Seems like for .243 the largest factory ammo choices are 100 grain (lead) soft point, 90 grain (lead) partition type bullets, or 85 grain copper. I haven't figured out if the reason the largest .243 bullet size is being effectively reduced is to make each new bullet type equal to the previous category (i.e. 100 grain SP = 90 grain partition = 85 grain copper in terms of the game size) or if it is because a typical 243 barrel wouldn't stabilize it (or the powder would propel it adequately). Just the musings of an armchair hunter who still hasn't had time to get out for cottontails, with my Nova 12g,yet this season. (I did draw a G13 for deer this year (I had 1 point from last year) and I plan to buy a D16 over the counter, so I'll be sure to be ready with the .243 before Oct 24th.)
Today I'm back to fixing the 'ultimate breakdown vehicle' from Germany.

no one makes a non tox 105gr. ( that i know of ) you can get lead projectiles up to 115gr. the 105gr burgers have a bc over .5 just amazing if you can get them to fly right. You need a fast twist to get them to go.

Most off the shelf .243's cant stabilize the VLD bullets.

no one makes a non tox 105gr. ( that i know of ) you can get lead projectiles up to 115gr. the 105gr burgers have a bc over .5 just amazing if you can get them to fly right. You need a fast twist to get them to go.

Most off the shelf .243's cant stabilize the VLD bullets.

I cant even get good groups with 100 gr lead out of my 243. It likes the smaller bullets. So I have two loads for it, 70gr BT and the 85 gr TSX. Both of those shoot well out of it.

i shoot an ar10 in 243 with hornaday GMX 80's and ttsx barnes. the barnes for me seam to work a little better. plus the blue tip is super cool 8)

color aside i get quarter sized groups at 200yards and out to about 400 its still very close within 2" or so. IM not crack shot no matter what im shooting but they seam to work well for me and my set up. i reload usually with reloader 17 at 3cc it works well and cycles my rifle well with no over pressure issues.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu