.257 WBY MAG

coyotekid87

Aug 16, 2014
D11
So I've been doing some homework, and I think after tax season I'm going to invest in a new rifle. One particular cartridge that I have read about a lot online is .257 WBY MAG, and I was wondering if anyone on here has any thoughts. Does anyone here have a .257, load a .257 and if so what do you think about it over all? What type of rifle/loads do you have? Do you think the cartridge is worth the investment? Any input is appreciated

One of the best calibers out there 600 yds all day long......downside the glass will cost you more than the gun.

I have one in the safe just can't spend 2k on glass yet

I've been tripping out on the bullet stats and drop at far distances, seems like a real versatile cartridge. how is the recoil? I know it's a magnum caliber, but is the recoil real heavy? I currently shoot a .270, is that close to compare? Thanks

Also consider what changes copper / non-lead will have to the rifle's benefits.

For example, for my .243 it seems like non-lead ammo only goes up to 85grains vs lead ammo going up to 100grains (the non-lead requiring a faster twist to stabilize larger bullet sizes). It doesn't change much in terms of the game I can pursue with the .243 (game up to the size of deer), but the transition to non-lead is a difference I hadn't even thought of when buying the .243
[I really like the 243 and think the 257 is probably great also]

Reactions: coyotekid87
As far as the lighter lead free bullets go they do not need as heavy of a bullet to do the same job with the near 100% weight retention plus you can always load them faster so in the end it doesn't matter much except twist rate. But I've had no problem shooting lead free in all my guns going on 10 years. Some of my guns are well over 50years old and shoot the lead free just fine with what ever twist they happen to have. The 25ag should be a great round for California game.

Reactions: coyotekid87
It kicks about the same don't go with the bull barrel. Learn to reload and your go too go.

Unless you load bullets are hard to find (leadfree)
Buddy of mine has one he loves it . Loads his own bullets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu