2nd update for "too many shells at Wister".

jayhoov

Feb 18, 2015
Went to court today for our trial regarding shells in excess of 25 for myself and my buddy as well as a parking violation for my friend's truck on a "closed road". We each paid an attorney (friend of a friend) and was WELL worth it! My $1,050 fine was dismissed completely as was my friend's shell violation. The parking fine was reduced from $850 to $150. I will state again that while ignorance of the law is no excuse, the excessive fine amount was obscene and deserved to be fought.

As they say, "a man who represents himself has a fool for a client"......hire a lawyer if affordable and if it makes good financial sense in comparison to these obscene fines.

Re: 2nd update for "too many shells at Wister".

That's good news. Glad the judge gave you a break.

Well, it took a lot of lawyering to get it dismissed. I think if we represented ourselves we could have MAYBE caught a break on the fine amount but still been found guilty.

Wise choice to get a lawyer......it sucks but you gotta play the game of court

Re: 2nd update for "too many shells at Wister".

MJB said:
Wise choice to get a lawyer......it sucks but you gotta play the game of court
Yeah that's a good lesson

http://www.lucerolawfirm.com/steve-lucero/

Link to his website which has his contact info on it as well. I won't discuss what he charged but it was very fair considering my friend was facing an $1800 fine and myself a $1000 fine. Put it this way...his fee would have been a much more appropriate fine amount for the cited offense.

Glad to hear it. I have always thought that those fines are excessive. Many, MANY years ago, my father had an IRS audit and they found he was $9,000.00 short (he had paid around $50,000 and got a $20,000 refund). How much was interest and fines? $36,000.00. He should have fought it, like you did, but he just paid it and moved on. The government LOVES excessive fines and glad to see your fight paid off!!!

Better just to know the rules, many of us have had the "walk of shame", getting six ducks with 25 shells and needing to get a handful more to get that 7th one!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu