3 Days of D-16

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
After scouting my best spot last Wednesday on the way home from Wister, I had high hopes for Stefanie's hunt on Friday.....Saw 7 bucks, of which, 2 were real shooters....All in her range.....The 2 biggest put on quite a show fighting too.....Not a morning person, we headed up Friday at about 1:00 pm.....We no sooner get into our stand and a single doe appears. Soon there after a doe and a fawn. Another 15 minutes and a doe with 2 fawns.....What was interesting was just 2 days previous, I didn't see this bunch with all the bucks around.....They finally move off and we sit there till about 5:00 pm. Finally Stef says there's a deer. It's a doe, then another, then another, then another, then another....5 does total and I have her on the sticks.....I'm betting the ranch the next deer is a buck.....Nope.....That was it.....I have no idea what happened, but we went from 7 bucks to 0.....Did see a spike with a doe on the drive out.

Saturday, I decided to hunt MCC and Jacob & Cody (Jacob's neighbor and new hunting partner) were going to some public land that I had shown them both.....I start walking to my spot and instantly I see deer, but it's barely shoot time and they're in the dark shade of oaks. They finally move up to skyline it's a doe and a spike....His nose is right up her tail and off they finally go. I get to the top and start glassing the area.....Nothing....After about 2 hours, my cell phone starts ringing.....It's Jacob.....I can hear him talking, but can't understand a word he's saying. Finally I said, slow down. He's yelling, we got one, we got one!.....Mind you these two have hunted their butts off on public land (even the death walk of Barker).....I think I was excited as they were.....I know where they're at and I say I'll be over as fast as I can get there.....I find their truck and up the mountain I go.....A little over a mile up, I find them.....These boys were pumped.....Jacob had spotted the buck about 800 yds up by himself. They then stayed there for 1 1/2 hours without seeing him again. Finally they said, let's start moving up his way.....They hadn't gone 30 yds when Cody says, I see legs under that mesquite.....Sure enough, it's the buck....Cody gets down in a shooting position with the sticks.....A few seconds later, Jacob says, he's to your left on the ridge (80 yds). Cody readjusts and lets loose.....Down goes Frazier!.....Just rewriting the story makes me feel good about these kids.....One other note, It's nice dragging down hill.....lol

Yesterday, it was Jacob and I on MCC again, but a different area.....From the minute it got light, till it was dark. We had deer (also saw 2 bobcats and 2 coyotes).....2 forkies (not legal on MCC) and 5 spikes were seen.....Talk about a healthy deer herd.....What was really strange about this hunt was when we see a pretty nice forky just feeding along. Then right behind him come 3 spikes together (I've never seen this before). One of the spikes is chasing a doe and they go right passed us.

3 really fun days of hunting D-16 deer in 3 totally different kinds of habitat...... 8)

ps.....Actually saw some nice gobblers too....... ;)

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    806.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 49
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    519.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    658.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    1,004 KB · Views: 51
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    976.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 081.JPG
    081.JPG
    725.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 063.JPG
    063.JPG
    844.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 044.JPG
    044.JPG
    796.1 KB · Views: 56
Great stuff Steve those are some great looking deer in those pictures!!! How did you get the bobcat to lay down and pose for ya 8)

Jdrivsd619 said:
Great stuff Steve those are some great looking deer in those pictures!!! How did you get the bobcat to lay down and pose for ya 8)

The magic of zoom lenses.......lol

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    567.1 KB · Views: 33
Awesome story Steve! And some respectable bucks too. Were you able to pet the cat? :D

Thanks John......The 4x2 is a cool buck.....He's never been on the trail cams and I haven't seen him since Wednesday...... :-[

Attachments

• 088.JPG
    088.JPG
    728.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 030.JPG
    030.JPG
    778.2 KB · Views: 36
That's great stuff Steve. Thanks for the great write up. You're right: your excitement comes through on the page. Congrats to Jacob for putting his buddy on a nice buck. That's special. Nice healthy bucks in these pics.

Muledeerhunter said:
Nice. Is that MCC land?

2 pictures from MCC.....Here's a couple more from MCC.

Attachments

• 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    747.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    557.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    804 KB · Views: 31
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    511.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    447.3 KB · Views: 34
looks like you seen a lot of bucks that first one looks like a big bodied buck. congrats on getting one.

That is very cool Steve. Those are great pics. Congrats to the future son in law and his buddy.

Hunted with Stefanie this afternoon......She passed on a couple of small guys......The big spike is not long for this world, if he hangs around and I'm on the gun. He's got a little crab claw on his right antler.....Out of the gene pool buddy..... ;)

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    525.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    995 KB · Views: 28
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    551.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    619.6 KB · Views: 30
Awesome Post.

You know its Bobcat season...... right? Guess you didn't want to blow your spot.

Jim,

I know and have bobcat tag in hand......Just didn't want to shoot where we were......How about this bobcat surrounded by coyotes (few nights ago)..... :-\

ps.....After blowing this picture up.....It may be 3 coyotes and a deer on the left.

Attachments

• 119.JPG
    119.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 30
Target rich.........You got some work to do there after deer season.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu