30 Days until SoCal Duck Opener!

CenterMass

Oct 28, 2013
Getting excited. Broke out the Deke's over the HOT weekend. Cleaned them up, getting stuff ready. Headed out to the range for some clays this am. Hopefully a more productive year.

will the lack of rot water farming up north hurt or help?

Will the lack of water up north help or hurt? I have thought for a while that a lot of the birds killed in the IV/ LCRA dump in from the great basin where rain fall was normal so eh i duno :) Last year was the best year i have had since the 80s so it was feast or famine depending on where you were...

Aeon said:
will the lack of rot water farming up north hurt or help?

Will the lack of water up north help or hurt? I have thought for a while that a lot of the birds killed in the IV/ LCRA dump in from the great basin where rain fall was normal so eh i duno :) Last year was the best year i have had since the 80s so it was feast or famine depending on where you were...

It depends! How's that for grey? This will be my first year hunting the rice in the north. I'm hoping my situation works out good for me, guaranteed water in a good area. I'm hoping to put the hurt on the ducks and geese.
After hunting the lower river for years, I also think last season was a good one. I also believe that most of the IV and river birds come via the Great Salt Lake and that flyway versus Nor Cal. The bands from birds shot on the river typically come from Utah, ND and SD.
I bet you So Cal guys will have a good year!

Southern California and Arizona should have an excellent waterfowl season 2014-2015. Duck factory production is up again and it may be a wet winter. Utah's Canada goose numbers are the second highest in 10 years. Below is and excerpt from the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources website. The link is a more detailed view of Utah's current waterfowl forecast.

"The number of Canada geese produced in the state is the second highest in the past 10 years. Couple that with good production in Montana and western Canada, and this could be a banner year for Canada goose hunting in Utah.
Duck hunters can expect plenty of birds to migrate through the state. The number of ducks produced in Utah was down this spring, but production in Alaska, Montana and most of Alberta and British Columbia was up. The question is, how long will the ducks remain in Utah? The water level on Great Salt Lake is close to its lowest point on record. A smaller lake means ducks won't have as many places to escape hunters when hunting pressure builds on the marshes.
"

http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1087:utah-canada-goose-numbers-second-highest-in-10-years&catid=39:nationwide-hunting&Itemid=182

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu