3rd Annual Oscar Canon Memorial Wounded Warrior Duck Hunt At Falling Feathers

Aeon

just a dude who duck hunts
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Feb 16, 2011
I can't believe its been 3 years, 3 years since our friend Oscar left us. For you guys that do not know SSgt Oscar Canon was the man that helped make our first Wounded Warrior Hunt happen. He broke rules and bucked the system that at times tried to stop us from having our 1st hunt. In the end he pulled it off and we got the marines out into the blinds. That hunt will stand out as the one of the best of my life.
Tragedy struck a few short weeks after the hunt and Oscar was taken from us. It's hard for me to write this even now 3 years past. We named our hunt after him and we do our best to honor his name and who he was.
I encourage you to read about his battle and maybe get a glimpse into what this true American hero was about. http://tinyurl.com/kug5knq

This Year's Oscar Canon Wounded Warrior Duck Hunt at Falling Feathers Ranch Duck Club was nothing short of epic! We had 15 Marines and 1 Army soldier. They showed up Friday night around 7pm to sit around the camp fire and trade stories. let's just say it was a fun night! We all crashed into our beds, our 5am roll call was coming fast!

5am and every Marine was ready to go....... the club members crawled in slow, Must be that age thing. We got the gear together and each member grabbed a Warrior and headed out. Aaron Smith and Bill Woodall took two guys out in boats to the salton sea. A huge thanks to you guys for helping out this year.

This season has not been exactly on fire but we all had high hopes. As 6:16am drew close we heard the official time keepers at Wister start to shoot. IT was Game ON! If you were a duck and you came even close to the club you were in deep. Shots rang out all over the club and the fly off ended as quick as it started. The rest of the morning would prove a slow but steady pick on birds.

Lunch time came and the members slowly came back in. My buddy Bill DeMoss and my Father had lunch ready. Burgers and baked beans with chips and soda. We took some photos with what ducks we had and everyone got a chance to cool off.... freaking 80 deg in January. As we were eating some ducks floated in and you could see what the Warriors wanted to do.. Go HUNT!

The afternoon was on and off slow. Lots of time to talk about life and ducks and whatever. The ducks piled up and many of the guys were getting limits. Decent birds too, with more than a few teal and pintail taken. By the end of the day one thousand rounds of Hevi-Metal would go skyward. many ducks would go home in bags and a few made it out alive. I do know there is one Wigeon that now has the United States Marine Corp after it, It better run to Mexico and stay there.

The Thank you list gets a little big so bear with me. First I want to Thank Environ-Metal aka Hevi-Shot. You guys came through big. Hevi-Metal is just amazing, It's what I shoot and it's what the Marines use when it's time to do battle with ducks! You guys have been with us since day one and i look forward to many more years.

Thank you to R.J. Noble Co, As a founding sponsor that has been with us each time.

Thanks to Bass Pro shops for your continued support. The Gear was great and put to good use right away.

Bloodydecks! Thanks again for the tshirts and swag!

We have some new sponsors this year! This was especially great with the event growing and taking on even more Marines. You guys made this possible!!!!
Lunday-Thagard Co. / World Oil Co,
Paramount Petroleum Co. / ALON USA.
Hanson Aggregate North America

Last i would like to thank Bryant Campbell and members of Falling Feathers who host this even each year. The way each member helps out and bonds with the Marines is priceless and something cool.

bpgroup2_zpse5537c1f.jpg
ww5_zps84aa98a5.jpg
ee27efe9-4a0b-46b6-a752-3d0639686a17_zps277295b5.jpg
ww2_zps26830ca1.jpg
ww6_zpsebe1ccc2.jpg
IMG_0024_zps4aaef104.jpg
ww3_zps3054d83e.jpg

Excellent post. Sounds like the world lost a great person in your friend SSgt Canon.
It's great that you honor his memory and provide other Wounded Warriors an opportunity that would otherwise be unachievable.

Hats off to all involved. Thanks for sharing this very important event with the forum Bill.

What a great event and report!
Thanks Aeon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aeon
I have to commend your group. helping these guy's.
We as Americans owe our freedoms to Warriors like Staff Sergeant Oscar Canon. and all wounded warriors.

I read his story from the link.
May Staff Sergeant Oscar Canon RIP. a true hero .

I Am truly sad for his family.

LBH2

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu