52%.......WOW!

I think this report is worded in such a way that it might be somewhat misleading. It states that the researchers found the contents of the lions' stomachs contained "cats, dogs, and other domesticated animals." "Other domesticated animals" would include sheep, goats, chickens, calves---all sorts of farm animals. It would be interesting to see how many lions had eaten dogs and cats and remove "other domesticated animals" from the mix for that one statistic.

I also bet that most of those lions killed under depredation permits had been working farms and ranches.

Reactions: ilovesprig
I think this report is worded in such a way that it might be somewhat misleading. It states that the researchers found the contents of the lions' stomachs contained "cats, dogs, and other domesticated animals." "Other domesticated animals" would include sheep, goats, chickens, calves---all sorts of farm animals. It would be interesting to see how many lions had eaten dogs and cats and remove "other domesticated animals" from the mix for that one statistic.

I also bet that most of those lions killed under depredation permits had been working farms and ranches.
I concur! These lions were killed via depredation permit BECAUSE they were eating/killing "domesticated" animals! :joy: I wonder how much money was spent on this study!?! I imagine the scenario was something like:
Farmer calls warden because cat keeps stealing sheep, goats, calves, etc. Warden does a year-long study to confirm a cat is stealing the livestock and issues a permit with ridiculous stipulations. Cat gets killed and is turned in for examination. Low and behold, durn thang has domestic sheep in it's stomach! "Hey Cathy, put another mark on the "domestic animal category"! :clap:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu