6.5 Sherman

You could always do a 6.5/280 Ackley Improved! Feeds great, big fuel tank and plenty of neck for long bullets!

Reactions: ross1147
If I'm not mistaken that's what the 6.5 Sherman is. I think I could use 270 , 280 or 280ai brass

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

My mistake you did say 6.5 Sherman, that is indeed a different cartridge than the 6.5SS

Hoghead,
What it sounds like is you want to use same action / bolt (.473) and possible reloading components. If the 6.5-06 isn’t doing enough for you you have 4 options I see: 6.5-06AI, 6.5-280AI, 6.5 Gibbs, 6.5 Sherman.
I have a 6.5-06AI and it shoots great. In a 26” barrel I can get the 156 Berger up to 3100+, but settled on a node at 3030fps that shoots .52 MOA out to 500 yds (furthest I’ve taken it). I haven’t focused much attention to monos in it. I did pick up a couple boxes of 122 grn Controlled Chaos just to see how they shot and they’re very impressive.
Out of all the above listed cartridges a 6.5-280AI would probably be the easiest. Just find yourself some 280AI Peterson brass, pick up some 280ai bushing dies and a .290 (ish depending on neck thickness) bushing, neck down to 6.5 and feed her.
Good luck with your decision and let us all know what direction you go!

Reactions: Snake Charmer
6.5 sherman is a 06 based cartridge
6.5 Sherman short is a wsm....

For you guys that didn't know. I'm not a sherman guy so I had to look

The 6.5/280 AI is the best of the 06 options because of the longer neck. This allows for bigger bullets taking up less case capacity than the others. I had one (built by Darrell Holland) for about 10 years. It is an amazing cartridge.

I don't think I gin anything with the 6.5/284

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu