7mm rem mag big game cartridge

Designed2Hunt

Aug 18, 2019
I'm looking for some recommendations for factory big game non toxic cartridges mostly for CA mule deer, but if one cartridge can also do it all (...elk, pig, pronghorn, bear, etc.), all the better. Looking for non toxic bullet weight and muzzle velocity.

Projectile will be exiting a Remington 700 ADL with a 1:9.25 twist topped with a Leupold 3-9 VARI-X IIc scope. Max effective range is 400 yds.

Last edited:
This question may be a little less complicated than I thought due to the availability and lack of variation of off the shelf lead-free cartridges. Looks like the options are 140, 150, or 160 grains all moving at about 3000 fps . But still looking for recommendations.

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gear-gun-supplies/ammunition-ammo-for-hunting-shooting-sports/rifle-ammo-hunting-shooting-sports/rifle-ammo/c/cat-7mm-remington-magnum-ammo?sort=price-asc&q=:relevance:Cartridge:7mm+Remington+Magnum:Lead+Free:Yes#

Last edited:
The 7 mag can do it all in the west and is a great choice . A little big for so cal deer and antelope. but right in the zone for the rest of it especially at a bit of range. I would suggest that you look at the 140 to 150 grain range and whatever works best in your tool accura

Reactions: Designed2Hunt
I'd worry more about finding a load that shoots accurately than bullet weight per se. You are going to smoke anything within 400 yards. I would probably start with Barnes LRX though.

I always liked the the Barnes 150 TTSX when I was shooting the 7 Rem Mag. The Vor-TX offering (pn 21563) has always been a great round (and accurate) for all of North America.

Fine Firearms had some in stock, you may want to check.

I use the Barnes ttsx 150 gr.
Very accurate it’s set for 200 yds
O-400 yds not much drop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the Barnes TTSX 150 grain in my .30 06. 200 zero. I like that round. Watched 4 deer go down with it. 7mm that set up should do it.

John

I shoot a S&W 7mm older rifle as only 500 were made way back when. For deer I shoot Barnes Vor-Tx LR 139Gr LRX BT shoots them very well. I also use a 200yd zero. Best thing you can do is buy a box or two of different rounds and test them out to see what your rifle likes.

Reactions: NBK

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu