870 Owners.... Need some help

SluiceCoot

Oct 25, 2014
Rancho
So, I'm pretty handy around an 870. Own three of them...

My first shotgun was an 20g 870 express youth model, purchased by my pops in about 1995 or so. It was passed on through to my brothers, my younger cousins, etc. I recently got it back. I took it apart and was inspecting it and noticed the shell ejector leaf spring is missing....or is it?

I checked my full size 20g 870 express I got in about 1999. No ejector spring..... Crap!

I checked my 12 gauge 870 I purchased in about 2004. Bingo, ejector spring.

Question: Have the 870's always had ejector springs? Does anyone out there have an 870 that is near the age of my old ones and check to see if there is an ejector spring?

If I don't have to, I really don't want to install one. It requires cutting the head off the rivet, installing a new one and using what is left of the rivet to re-peen it in. I hear it only works 50% of the time.

Thanks guys

I have an 870 super magnum that's about 25yrs old and it has a ejector spring in it. I just replaced the ejector, the ejector spring , & both rivet's in mine. If your doing just the Spring it isn't that hard. Just take your time.

Ummm... Good Question. I'll let you know when I get home. I looked at the schematics on Brownwlls & all the 870's show Ejector springs.

The express models were the economy 870's where Remington was trying to make an affordable gun. The express models have the matte finish with crappy wood. The regular 870's are one of the best pumps ever made. They were blued and had better walnut stocks. Damn things are like $1,200 now!

It's a 870 Express Super Mag with the flat black finish and it has nicer wood stock than the crappy one that the cheaper 870 express comes with. I also have the 870 Wing master that has the blued receiver & glossy finish on the wood stock. They both have have a ejector spring in them.

SluiceCoot said:
The express models were the economy 870's where Remington was trying to make an affordable gun. The express models have the matte finish with crappy wood. The regular 870's are one of the best pumps ever made. They were blued and had better walnut stocks. Damn things are like $1,200 now!
[/quot

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu