A comedy of errors

D16hunter

Jun 28, 2012
San Diego
Today's Report starting from 5 am
5:00 me and my dad got to our spot and hiked over some ridges that are a total b**** in the dark hell even in broad daylight that were steep and nasty and my dad tells me were to far up the ridge to get to the spot and I know we have to hike over the ridge not halfway so I have no choice but to go back Down the ridge 6:02 we made a big loop back to the car and we're back where we started so this time I led and I had crappy flashlight and I saw a reflection from bluish eyes in the dark 30 feet from me but I had no clue what it was even though I watched it for a minute before
8:00 were going over a ridge and bump a good fork with a big swollen neck and does at 40 yards. We then go a couple hundred yards down the ridge and set up to glass and try to relocate the deer.
8:05 we started glassing.
8:08 I spotted the deer and watched them for a while until my dad finally saw them after trying to point them out for 5 minutes.
8:15 the deer get out of the brush at around 350 yards led by the buck.
8:16 the buck stops I can't get my scope on him and and all he'll breaks lose. I tell my dad SHOOT!!!!! My dad fires twice missing then I fire twice at the deer while it's running he slows down my dad fires once then I shoot 2 more times and empty my gun.
8:18 He's over the ridge with his 3 does. We thought we hit him
8:35 Were at the ridge but had to go out of our way to get to the other side of the ridge to cut him off if he's still alive.
8:37 We see his does run up the way we thought he would go.
8:40 We hike down the hill slowly
9:01 were about halfway down the hill and we bump 2 fawns at 30 yards that just stare at us like they've never seen people before.
9:01-9:20 I forget the exact time but my dad gets a call from a buddy and we hear Johnny got a buck down we hoped we'd have one too in a few.
9:20 we find were he went over the ridge and we search for blood.
10:04 we give up the search after following his trail from where he was when we first started shooting till he got to the top of the ridge no blood nothing no sign we give up the search.
11:15 we take a break struggling back up the ridge across the canyon from where we saw his does not even bothering to look for deer because it was getting hot and we thought everything had gotten the hell out of their after our shooting and lack of stealth.
11:18 we hear a deer jump up out of its bed and breaking brush within a hundred yards of us.
11:19 we see the deer out in the open and it was going so fast we couldn't tell if it was a buck or a doe. I get my scope on it right as it changes it's pace from a sprint to a brisk walk and recognize it as the one we missed earlier. Legal legal I half whisper half yell I open fire get three shots off at the deer he slows down and my dad fires then I fire my last round and he disappears into the manzanita.
11:45 the deer hasn't popped back up and we can't wait any longer so we split up I go up above the brush he last went into and my dad goes below.
11:52 we get to the bush and I can't see a thing.
11:53 my dad yells Luke where are you I see the buck!!! right here I reply and maybe 10 feet from me the buck appears. Neither us can shoot for fear of hitting the other. I had the deer at 10 feet and could only see it's head and my dad had him at 30 yards.
12:13 We went back to where we hit him after trying to relocate him. No blood but I found his escape route no blood on it at all we followed his tracks to the thickest bottom I've ever seen and could hear him breaking brush.
12:30 we tried everything to scare him out of the bottom but we couldn't physically get in their and get a shot so we left. We look all around no blood anywhere and we knew we missed him.
12:40 we were heading out and decided one last look at the area for the hell of it even though we'd taken 10 shots and yelled at each other and blamed each other for our misses. right away I glassed up a doe did a horrible imitation of a grunt for the hell of it the doe saw me then decided it couldn't care less that I was their
12:50 were looking down the same canyon we missed the first time and we're on the way out and the same group of does the buck was with saw us skylined and couldn't care less we were within a hundred yards and they didn't care.
2:27 were back at the car exhausted
4-til end of legal shooting light we hunted at a different spot that was normally full of life no birds no rabbits no deer no BP no illegal aliens nothing

So all in all it was a pretty good day I wish I killed a buck though, but the seasons just starting so I'm feeling optimistic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't worry most of everyone has missed before. I have learned to slow down and take smart shots. 350 yards is a far shot, a running shot is extremely hard at that distance. Keep after him!

That's a great report Luke, and well worth reading for anyone new to the forum who might think hunting is about finding a spot to sit down and pick out a target to shoot. As experienced as you and your dad are, I bet you both learned a lot this time out.
8)

A 350 yd running thru brush, off hand shot?......I wouldn't feel too bad about missing.....Just sayin'

ilovesprig said:
A 350 yd running thru brush, off hand shot?......I wouldn't feel too bad about missing.....Just sayin'
The main reason I wouldn't take a shot like that is, if I don't have a spotter to confirm hit or miss, I'm obligated to hike over and look for blood. You guys demonstrated good ethics and illustrate how to follow up a shot. Great job.

Landing a 350yard running shot off hand is a hard task to pull off. More likely to wound a deer than to kill it. I personally wouldn't take that shot unless it was on a coyote.

When hunting the excitement can get to you sometimes.
The part of the story that I like was that you and your dad kept track of each others location and made the right decision not to shoot in an unsafe direction. That part could have gone very bad with the wrong decision.

We'll I saw him again and I bumped him again at first light again 20 yards and hauling *** didn't get him to stop for a shot we tried following him couldn't get a shot at him on the way out we bumped some does at 20 yards we had em in sight for 15 minutes till they just walked off not spooked at all and we found his shed from last year he's just a big fork

I like the part where you guys were blaming each other. Sounds like me and my brother fishing lobster together.
Friends call us the spaz brothers!

Irvine said:
I like the part where you guys were blaming each other. Sounds like me and my brother fishing lobster together.
Friends call us the spaz brothers!
Lol it happens to everyone you only fight and get really pissed at each other if your family. I can think of so many times we've lost fish or missed animals and blamed it on each other.

350 yds at a running deer is a very hard shot. I'll bet anyone else around there though a war wad going on LOL.. You all did the right thing making the long hump to check for blood not once but twice..

Long story short I just got home and were dealing with this buck pics and story to follow

d55dcd04c3fd2f8737507ddc24b67f7b.jpg
Well I finally got it done and killed my target buck. We got to our spot round 6:30 and hiked in. Hiked around the first bowl we normally see this buck in approached it from a different angle and saw his does at 400 yards running around like they were spooked but not looking at us. So we hiked within 150 yards of em the does saw us and couldn't care less so my dad set up on his sticks to get a shot the brush was to tall so I couldn't get a stable shot without sticks unless we moved closer. we waited their for 5 minutes and watched the does then I saw something move behind the does and had my dad look over there it was nothing but as my dad looked closer at around 50 yards. he saw the buck took a shot missed reloaded then hit him way too far back with a non fatal shot. As the buck was running away I was worried he'd get away and we'd never see him again so i took an offhand shot at him when he was moving quickly at 75 yards with his butt to us and I I made the shot of a lifetime sorta I dropped him like a ton of bricks with a bullet to where the spine meets the skull but the shot was by accident (I was aiming lower on the spine). It got the job done though even if I f'd up the skull a bit. Without those does I wouldn't have killed that buck in a thousand years he had a big swollen neck and big glands on his back legs so he was in the rut. I couldn't be happier with this buck because I had some history with him. I only bought 1 d16 tag this year so I'm done deer hunting til I go to Texas next month. Good luck to everyone who's still hunting

Nice buck dude, congrats. You got to enjoy an elaborate chase with this guy.

I'd say don't worry about your shot, you got it done. Offhand is not easy, especially on a moving target.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu