A goal I might never achieve

D16hunter

Jun 28, 2012
San Diego
I had good hunt in the valley yesterday for doves but it didn't get interesting until driving back through the desert with 5 minutes of light left. I though I saw a sheep bedded down on the way to the valley but I wasn't 100% sure it was around 100 cooler than usual. What I saw driving back though was I'd never seen a bighorn much less a monster ram. I've only seen one bighorn sheep skull and it was a 150 or so bighorn from Socal killed by my dad's buddy Nate. This one was easily bigger than that one. That got my blood pumping to see that. Now I really want to kill a bighorn. I'm definitely gonna start building points next year. I'll probably never draw a tag but seeing that monster got my blood pumping like no animal I've ever seen and makes me want to kill a ram more than anything. Wish me luck on my impossible goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is not impossible. Just make sure you consistently put in for the tag every year. You are a young guy and it can happen.

I plan on drawing one!

What's this I'll probably never draw talk you sound so negative. I apply every year I'm going to get a tag

Sdbirds said:
What's this I'll probably never draw talk you sound so negative. I apply every year I'm going to get a tag
I'm just trying not to get my hopes up. What states are you applying in? And also what states could you apply for points in without having to buy a license before drawing a tag

http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/huntersforum/index.php/topic,3028.msg15028.html#msg15028

Have seen them a few times in the high desert. Been applying for years. Odds are low even with max points which I believe is 12. Closest area that has allotted tags are the Orocopia Mountains. Just keep plugging away. Someone has to get drawn.....could be you one day!

I think I'll apply for points for now but I think in a few years I'm gonna try to do an ewe hunt in Montana. I've heard the odds are 25%-50% in some areas for nonresidents. But that was a few years ago I'm gonna look into it

D16- Put in for points in every state that offers tags, it'll take many years but later rather than sooner you will draw a tag. They're not a very smart animal so once you draw the hard part is over. Buddy of mine put in for seventeen years in Az and finally drew when he was 74 years young, I was fortunate enough to accompany him on the hunt.

Attachments

• IMG_0408.JPG
    IMG_0408.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
Lungpopper said:
Hey D16, Random and I saw a mature ram yesterday about mid day. He was sky lined above the springs. If it was the same ram he was a good one.
I'm not sure how to describe where it was besides when your driving out of the valley right before it says entering imperial county then entering San Diego switching along the border of San Diego and imperial theirs a bridge with a 10 foot fence on one side that's facing Mexico right before the bridge I saw the ram skylined. Sorry I'm not the best at describing where it was

D16hunter said:
Lungpopper said:
Hey D16, Random and I saw a mature ram yesterday about mid day. He was sky lined above the springs. If it was the same ram he was a good one.
I'm not sure how to describe where it was besides when your driving out of the valley right before it says entering imperial county then entering San Diego switching along the border of San Diego and imperial theirs a bridge with a 10 foot fence on one side that's facing Mexico right before the bridge I saw the ram skylined. Sorry I'm not the best at describing where it was

Same area.

I know 3 guys that have drawn sheep tags........This year I was doing some work with the NWTF biologist and he has a friend with him........I asked why he was tagging along.......He says, I drew the Orocopia Mts sheep tag..........I put in every year as well.........Hope I get by the time I'm 74.......lol

Here's a big boy from the O's........... ;)

Attachments

• bighorn 6-25-11...Orocopia's[2].jpg
    bighorn 6-25-11...Orocopia's[2].jpg
    272 KB · Views: 24
its a dream hunt for many ! I have been apply for it since I was 14 years old and I hope to draw it by the time I am 60 in tell than I keep on apply for rocky mtn sheep in other states and am saving up to go to alaska and canada and get my dall and stone. My friend was drawn last year for sheep and shot number 2 in the state !

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu