A guy hunting D-16 with automatic rifle

NBK said:
sportyg said:
Nut cases like that are the reason I gave up rifle hunting and don't even go into the forest during rifle season.

I feel the same way about all of the crazy drivers on the road. I just walk everywhere now. And the nut jobs in the grocery store, I mean really? So I have taken up self sustaining farming practice. Oh and all of the cell phone radio and tower activity everywhere. I have this cool new aluminum helmet i wear now. Works amazing. ::)

C'mon John. You know guns are evil. Even more scary when they're black....

from a guy who is lucky to be still alive , I can tell you yes there are nut cases out there.
the gun he uses has nothing to do with his or her hunting ethics. it's all in the persons code of ethics.
all we can do is be defensive in watching out for the other person.

all be safe and may the the almighty bless you all.

Ghost

In my opinion, AR's are like bell bottoms or ford mustangs. Just a fad that will wear its self out. It looks "cool" so everyone want one. It has nothing to do with accuracy or effectiveness. You cannot say I use an ar and it drops them in its tracks. It's not the gun that did it. It's the shot placement and bullet that does it. Wait until you need to shoot past 300 yards. You'll wish you had a good old fashioned bolt action. I'm not bashing them, I'm sure they have their place, but they are not the cream of the crop either.

Try to load an AR in front of a deer.......so now you say pray and spray is bad? Where were you guys when that guy at Tejon was doing it on pigs from the road......

This is one reason I like to backpack in and get away from the road hunters

Adstaxidermyshoppe said:
In my opinion, AR's are like bell bottoms or ford mustangs. Just a fad that will wear its self out. It looks "cool" so everyone want one. It has nothing to do with accuracy or effectiveness. You cannot say I use an ar and it drops them in its tracks. It's not the gun that did it. It's the shot placement and bullet that does it. Wait until you need to shoot past 300 yards. You'll wish you had a good old fashioned bolt action. I'm not bashing them, I'm sure they have their place, but they are not the cream of the crop either.
This is an old way of thinking. Youre thinking only 223, which is common. ARs or Modern Sporting Rifles (MSRs) use lots of other calipers now and there are companies out there that guarantee sub MOA accuracy out of their MSRs. For example the 6.8 SPC II will still have complete low opening velocity at 425 yards for both 120gr (2480 fps muzzle velocity) and 95gr (2980fps muzzle velocity) bullets. This caliber has been seen primarily as a hunting round for a long time and has companies like Hornady, Barnes and Nosler making great hunting Ammo and projectiles for the caliber.

As for shot placement. It's always about shot placement no matter the rifle or caliber unless you're using something so over the top big destroying meat doesn't matter. Personally I use a MSR/AR because my rifle shoots sub MOA (1/4 MOA actually) and weighs 7.5 lbs with optics versus my boot action which is double digits. When I'm hiking all over hills I prefer the lighter weight.

Pic is not me but another hunter using a 6.8 SPC II, just over 200 yard shot. A good example. It's caliber, bullet construction, velocity (speed kills) and energy and of course the shooter not what holds the firing pin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446036400.768855.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446036400.768855.jpg
    757.3 KB · Views: 23
Adstaxidermyshoppe said:

I shoot my ar way past 300 yards with extreme confidence. I happen to hunt bigger game with my 243 ar10. I even got rid of my slow crappy bolt gun for my 243 ar10. It doesn't weigh much more and I have a few fast fallow up shots. I've never liked fads and hate skinny jeans and bell bottoms. I think I'll keep both my 223 and 243 ARs and use them ethically and safely.

As i said, I didn't mean to bash the gun. As we all know it's all about the user behind it. I'm just saying that people see what manufacturers are advertising and want to be part of the in crowd. They buy ar's because they want to feel important like the police or military, or see all the guys on the outdoor channel using them. They buy all the gizmo's for the rails, and think they are ready to hunt. Too funny.
talk about fads, Look at the ford raptor... How many guys bought one because he will look cool driving it, but has no clue how to drive off road? Im sure theres some youtube videos of idiots crashing them to justify my theory. What about bows? Pigman uses bear archery, how many people bought a bear bow thinking they can be like the guy on tv, but can't group within a dinner plate at 50 yards? Bet they still buy a deer tag...and I bet if a big buck is standing at 50,60 or even 70 yards they would try a shot too. That's just how people are. They want the newest and greatest to impress their friends. My prediction is that California will ban ar's once the bangers start using them anyway. Might want to keep a couple of those slow crappy bolt actions around as back up. ;)

IRONWORKS, I worked for Christensen arms, and had buddies who owned ca10's, 308 caliber which guaranteed 1" Moa. I could get that, however, my wife, brother and dad couldn't. Amplify that out to 300 yards, the group gets larger and the energy decreases. Just because it guarantees something doesn't mean the shooter can make it happen.

GSPman, define bigger game with a 243... Last October I helped a coworker track a spike elk he shot with a 243 at 220 yards. We tracked it for 6 hours before finishing it off with a neck shot. It broke it's shoulder but didn't penetrate very far past it. Got a bit of lung and that's what we tracked it with. It was coughing up foamy blood as it went down into the dark timber..was a p.i.t.a to get out. I do not know what ammo he used though. Probably the cheap wal mart stuff. Couple years ago I helped my uncle search for a 300 pound bear in d-14. He had a 243. 130 yard shot. Lost blood after 80 yards, most likely due to the hair soaking it up. Anyway, must have hit the sweet spot between the guts and spine, because we never found the bear. He lost a big buck in Utah the same way. The animals can travel for miles when hit there. A bigger caliber with more energy would probably have broke the spine...just saying I hope you don't ever lose a trophy because you chose a cool and fast but smaller caliber gun

Adstaxidermyshoppe said:
As i said, I didn't mean to bash the gun. As we all know it's all about the user behind it. I'm just saying that people see what manufacturers are advertising and want to be part of the in crowd. They buy ar's because they want to feel important like the police or military, or see all the guys on the outdoor channel using them. They buy all the gizmo's for the rails, and think they are ready to hunt. Too funny.
talk about fads, Look at the ford raptor... How many guys bought one because he will look cool driving it, but has no clue how to drive off road? Im sure theres some youtube videos of idiots crashing them to justify my theory. What about bows? Pigman uses bear archery, how many people bought a bear bow thinking they can be like the guy on tv, but can't group within a dinner plate at 50 yards? Bet they still buy a deer tag...and I bet if a big buck is standing at 50,60 or even 70 yards they would try a shot too. That's just how people are. They want the newest and greatest to impress their friends. My prediction is that California will ban ar's once the bangers start using them anyway. Might want to keep a couple of those slow crappy bolt actions around as back up. ;)

IRONWORKS, I worked for Christensen arms, and had buddies who owned ca10's, 308 caliber which guaranteed 1" Moa. I could get that, however, my wife, brother and dad couldn't. Amplify that out to 300 yards, the group gets larger and the energy decreases. Just because it guarantees something doesn't mean the shooter can make it happen.

GSPman, define bigger game with a 243... Last October I helped a coworker track a spike elk he shot with a 243 at 220 yards. We tracked it for 6 hours before finishing it off with a neck shot. It broke it's shoulder but didn't penetrate very far past it. Got a bit of lung and that's what we tracked it with. It was coughing up foamy blood as it went down into the dark timber..was a p.i.t.a to get out. I do not know what ammo he used though. Probably the cheap wal mart stuff. Couple years ago I helped my uncle search for a 300 pound bear in d-14. He had a 243. 130 yard shot. Lost blood after 80 yards, most likely due to the hair soaking it up. Anyway, must have hit the sweet spot between the guts and spine, because we never found the bear. He lost a big buck in Utah the same way. The animals can travel for miles when hit there. A bigger caliber with more energy would probably have broke the spine...just saying I hope you don't ever lose a trophy because you chose a cool and fast but smaller caliber gun

Every thing I have killed for 40 years has been with a 243 or 308. And I have never lost an animal. All local deer. The worst case Had one go hundred yards max. Most dropped in the spot. I had 20 15 eye vision. using a simple peep sight.

Adstaxidermyshoppe said:

The product is guaranteed to do the work not the shooters ability. No one can guarantee the shooters ability especially if they don't train. When we have customers show up to the ranch to hunt the first thing we do is have them check zero. Several guys haven't touched their rifle since last hunt, last season. That's irresponsible as they haven't taken care of their gear or practiced their craft.

I've noticed more and more older hunters are getting ARs because of 2 main reasons. They want them lighter and they like that the semi auto has reduced recoil for their shoulders. None want gizmos and in the beginning most wanted target crowns. That was all accommodated until they realized there are hunting brakes out there which aren't overly loud but help with reducing recoil further. Besides should be wearing ears anyhow imho. Responsible companies who build custom ARs with the intent to hunt (no other reason) have set themselves up properly with the hunter in mind. You say you're not bashing but then you go on to bash. That's why several who do hunt with them are commenting with justifiable reasons to use a lighter system with the horsepower to ethically take their game.

None of us condone the behavior that the OP was talking about either.

I'm not an AR fan for hunting
The muzzle break is no fun to be around and I don't wear hearing protection while hunting BG I need my hearing and all my senses.
Too many moving parts to fail seen people loose mags, rails come loose and a butt that just would not stay tight
Too loud to load near game....yeah you can push it shut but will it cycle the next round?
I hear if I miss it's quick for follow up shots. One shot one kill should be the goal and if it needs a second shot you may need more practice with the gun, better shot placement or a different bullet. It's my mind set that with the bolt you'll take a better shot due to thinking I have one shot but the AR it's more along I'll take that no so good shot and put two or three in him.
I don't buy the recoil thing for hunting, after your sighted in its 1-5 shots all season. And with your adrenaline going no one feels it.
Lighter? Well I go two ways with this a heavier gun can shoot better freehand and larger calibers it feels better recoil wise. 5-6lbs AR vs 7-8 lbs bolt? if 2 pounds makes that much of a difference on your shoulder what are you going to do when the animal is on the ground. Call the UTV?

This year I had some LEO's hunt with me at Tejon and all three AR's had some problem but the two bolt guns were always working and after the first day they all put the AR's away.

I just don't see a big enough up side for big game and the chance of failure too big a risk to take. Now varmits okay lots of fun but it's more about multiple targets and your not eating them so meat damage no biggie and your not paying big bucks to hunt.
As for the range the blow from the side is no fun when your next to them trying to hold steady on the target. The brass is all over the ground creating a slip & fall issue. When I go to shoot the AR at the range I get away from the bolt guys & stay with the AR guys

This goes down to poor equipment purchase or maintenance. Like the guy that buys a $1000 rifle and $150 scope. Simple as that.

Adrenaline and no recoil felt is great for younger guys but when you start getting a lot older the recoil is felt for days and bones just can't take it anymore.

I own both bolt and hunting specific ARs. My 3 ARs are high quality purpose built hunting rifles that can be loaded quietly and function every time and are no louder than a bolt action of similar caliber because it was built as a hunting rifle. Ride the bolt forward, push the forward assist to properly seat the bolt and ready to go.

I've only had to take a follow up shot on a few occasions in my hunting career and never on a deer which is hunted with a 6.8 AR A bolt action won't cut it hunting pigs in Texas simple as that. We are constantly striving for that fastest most ethical kill possible.

Ask anyone whose hiked miles upon miles with heavy kit, 2 lbs is a lot. I say to each their own if you choose a bolt action, great I love mine (which is double digits weight not 7-8 but I wish it was. Savage bear hunter 116 300wm).

As for hearing protection. That's a debate for another day but if you're wearing quality electronics you don't lose any senses and in fact your hearing is enhanced. Plus you still have hearing at the end of the day. People using combat brakes on hunting rigs are just not doing it right and aren't respecting their hunting buddies.

My point is get around the people who are industry professionals who know the difference between a cheaply made $450 AR that someone is trying to hunt with and a purpose built, sub MOA MSR/AR. You may have a different outlook on the situation. In the 5 years I've own my current 6.8 MSR and hunted deer and pigs (roughly 6-7 a year) I've yet to have a malfunction or failure, knock on wood, with it.

Also in my experience LEOs know very little about their equipment and get very little training beyond cleaning and shooting.

I'm not debating which is better or trying to convert anyone. I'm simply trying to open the minds of those who have made up their mind based on poor information and 1 or 2 bad experiences using or being around crappy equipment or poorly maintained equipment. As stated above I use and like both.

I haven't hunted pigs in TX why is a bolt such a bad choice out there?

Out here it's just spot and stalk so either gun will work.

Good to know that the hunting AR's are quite to load.

MJB said:
I haven't hunted pigs in TX why is a bolt such a bad choice out there?

Out here it's just spot and stalk so either gun will work.

Good to know that the hunting AR's are quite to load.

When you get on a pig in Texas there are usually 30 of his closest friends. And the shooting lanes can be pretty narrow so if you have a bolt action you're going home with A pig. If you have a semi auto you're going home with several pigs. Or of course to shoot the random charging pigs, which I've never seen. I've seen pigs run at you then by you then away from you because they had no idea you were there. That'll still make you soil your jeans though lol.

Also out there the mindset is very different with pigs. If a farmer is going to let you hunt his land he wants you to kill as many pigs as possible. Ethical kills go out the window. They are perceived as nuisance animals and need to be eliminated at all costs. So your second and third pig are not unusual to get a knock down shot on them to plant them then a follow up vitals shot and go after the next one.

Very different pig hunting out there. If it runs into the high grass to die we don't even bother looking for it, because A) I'm not following a 200 lb wounded pig that no one cares about and B) large cats we call my lions are in the brush and lastly it's pitch black out. We hunt them at night.

The pig hunts at the ranch are usually very booked up and now with the spot/stalk training using night vision and thermals they are really booked out.

It's just a different experience for the average hunter who doesn't get to do all that so a lot of great repeat customers. Safety is paramount to us but so is a good time and experience.

SoCal Hunter said:
My cousin told me last night that somebody was hunting D16 with a automatic gun and my cousin said he kicked up a deer and emptied his magazine on the deer. My cousin said he missed. Did anybody hear about it or actually hear it happen?
The above posts make a really interesting and informative discussion of the pros and cons of ARs for hunting. I'll stick with bolt actions, but this thread has given more food for thought than you'd expect from the title: a good result of a "thread jack" in my opinion. I copied the original post here just to point out that yoyos who misuse tools are the real problem.

Bonejour said:
SoCal Hunter said:
My cousin told me last night that somebody was hunting D16 with a automatic gun and my cousin said he kicked up a deer and emptied his magazine on the deer. My cousin said he missed. Did anybody hear about it or actually hear it happen?
The above posts make a really interesting and informative discussion of the pros and cons of ARs for hunting. I'll stick with bolt actions, but this thread has given more food for thought than you'd expect from the title: a good result of a "thread jack" in my opinion. I copied the original post here just to point out that yoyos who misuse tools are the real problem.

We all agree about those bafoons being yoyos. They are the ones that make all of us look bad. I agree other than the thread jack, sorry, the discussion is a good one.

We had a 16 yr old boy killed by someone shooting into brush, prime example of stupidity by the "hunter"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu