A pig hunt with highly effective copper bullets

Re: Pig Hunt - Tough Going - Piggy Jr. Down and a BULLET SHOCK

Great story Mike. Thanks for taking the time to write it down, and for all the detail.

Mike,

Congrats and thanks for sharing...........See any turkeys?

Congrats and thanks for the great hunt story!

Shooting at running game is stupid if they run before you get a shot your not doing in right......see a pig then take a few shots oh I missed you do know they have a blood rule right?

Dude your new to hunting and this is not how you do it.......6 shots 1 pig is not bragging rights it's just stupid and shows your a bad hunter. I know it's hard right now but this is not the way. Slow down when your thick into the pigs infact once you can smell them just hold still and let them pop up or make some noise I even have had the wind change to wake them up. Then you'll get your shot.

This time of year they hang low & in the thick stuff that's what they do........the pressure from all of the hunters pushs them deep and food water & cover in one spot is pig heaven.

Sorry dude but you can do better than this

MJB said:
Shooting at running game is stupid if they run before you get a shot your not doing in right......see a pig then take a few shots oh I missed you do know they have a blood rule right?

Dude your new to hunting and this is not how you do it.......6 shots 1 pig is not bragging rights it's just stupid and shows your a bad hunter. I know it's hard right now but this is not the way. Slow down when your thick into the pigs infact once you can smell them just hold still and let them pop up or make some noise I even have had the wind change to wake them up. Then you'll get your shot.

This time of year they hang low & in the thick stuff that's what they do........the pressure from all of the hunters pushs them deep and food water & cover in one spot is pig heaven.

Sorry dude but you can do better than this

Why do you care if he shot at a running animal? Hunting is just that, hunting. You don't always get a perfect broadside standing still shot. I personally don't know one person that wouldn't shoot at a running pig...

I think the most fun thing about hunting pigs, and there are lots of fun things about it, is that you just have to be so quick mentally. Your first chance is often your best shot, and you have to either take the shot or give it up because a pig on the run will not stop till it's in the next county. Im not sure, but it could be the most fun a guy can have standing up!

Sorry I was a little ruff and sorry you feel that if you don't shoot at running pigs your not going to get one.......that's hunting........So do you shoot at running deer & elk? Its about ethics & safety ya you can do it but is it wise to do that no......most of the time you just wound them or they die a few days later. And if every hunter was doing the same as you how much fun would it be to go hunting?

Besides ethics it's dangerous you don't know in a split second if someone else was stalking those pigs or what could have been down range. I've seen it first hand with two different hunters in the Catskills stalking the same sounder one guy shoots the other guy freaks out. He had no idea the other hunter was there. And with copper it's even more dangerous the bullet hits the dirt or twig and still has enough energy to kill your pig.

If all you see is running game SLOW DOWN they dont run forever. When road hunting drive past them or stop early and get out and walk near the area.

Call Tony, Cody or Steven and tell them how you can only get shots on running pigs.......they will tell you the same thing

Sorry if I'm a little ruff on this stuff it's just not what I pass on as a hunter and it's not safe. You do know your not helping with the pressure on the pigs you just taught those pigs that car=shots.......maybe an AR10 is what you need spray & pray at least you won't be wounding pigs left & right

And If you stop posting because you got butt hurt.......???......I thought you were a fisherman on BD.......that's just silly

So did you guys go check the spot the big boar was in for blood? Or look over the next ridge he was heading? Track him for a few hundred yards? If not you should have that's what we have to do as ethical hunters. And if there's blood that's a Tejon tag that you can't get back.....

You mean this thread?

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/rookie-report-so-cal.541522/

No bullies just emotions and a pattern that some of us want to help you with......and dude is a so cal thing like bro & man

Large caliber means nothing if a poor shot. What it does mean longer distance & more power.......shot placement is key that's why running animals is no good.

Shooting at trees to scare game......come on

And once again I'm sorry if I'm a little ruff it's just that a year ago you were on track and I know you'll keep at and get better......we all have done stuff like this and ALL OF US WILL TKAE A SHOT AT RUNNIG GAME it's hard to resist

Re: Please delete

The all knowing MJB im glad your on the site. I now know you cant kill a little deer with copper (unless you shoot it 3 times) and never to shoot at a running animal, ever! May as well not try to catch a swimming fish while I'm at it...

Re: Please delete

Well just found out that flock shooting big game is also unlawful

Naw...couple of guys talked me out of it...they are right. Can't ruin some good ole internet Forum Fun over one person...

[youtube]https://youtu.be/lRSQqR2Xy4I?t=57[/youtube]

msteele711
sometime our emotions get the best of us. that's because we care. I want to congratulated you for the awesome pig dude.

My first deer I killed while running. I shot it thru the neck. it was a first time lucky shot.
plus at 17 or what ever age I was at I had quick reflexes, 20-15 vision, and was an awesome shot at that age.
so I take it was half luck and half skill.

cherish that kill for the rest of your life. I have. and learn from our mistakes.
there's derogatory criticizing and there's constructive advise.
I to do not take derogatory statements very well. but it is better to move on.
but I agree with MJB shooting at running game can be dangerous. or it may be a safe shot
depending on the circumstance.
that said, if I feel that it is a safe shot and there's a stop behind the game such as a hill.
then I absolutely feel it is safe to shoot, well? but would I probably would not.
it is to risky in not making a clean kill. I will do my best to stop the animal for a quick shot.

try to take constructive advice and then move on.
Again welcome to the forum and congrats to your Kill.

Best
Ghost

Enough already.......I'm tired, I'm in a bad mood from lack of sleep, and I haven't killed a turkey in 5 days....... :-*

This thread is over, I'm trying to solder tiny parts that keep 2k worth of hexacopter airborne and between beer and this I'm distracted.

There are some things we can talk about in another thread and I encourage you to post and have a civil talk about it

Attachments

• 20150403_195727.jpg
    20150403_195727.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 22

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu