A slow season

mse

Mar 3, 2011
This has been a slow slow season on the public land the wife has been busting my. You guys get the point but this is all i got so far. Been hard to get out with family stuff got this knuckle head 2 weeks ago on the spot and stalk.

Attachments

• slow.png
    slow.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 61
Nice bird! It's definitely a tough season, lots of hens and hot weather makes it hard to stick it out. Any stats on your bird?

So far you got me beat Matagi. Its been the toughest season I can remember. Ive been close a few times but for one reason or another I failed. Its still gonna get better because they are still henned up pretty good at my spot. I think I would be done if I was carrying a gun but I know shoulda woulda coulda doesn't weigh in very well. I really blew it this morning with 2 big toms coming in silently and 2 hours early with 4 hens. I think its time to get all the guys at my spot to whack a hen this fall. The hills are crawling with hens. I think I will take my kid out Sat and Sun with his shot gun and let him try. Should be a good final 2 weeks with the bow.

Gen,
He's lacking in the spur department only about 3/4 and 9 1/2 for the beard if I stretch it.
The fan was realy big, bigger than the fan on my mount from a few years ago which I felt was pretty good as far as weight no clue maybe 19 pounds.

Well boys looks like this weekend is going to be much cooler so lets hope the birds get a little friskier. I was hoping to go out tomorrow but looks like I have child duty.

Congrats on your bird mse! Sounds like mighty fine bird to me. Any bird taken on SD public land is a trophy in my book.

Had tons of gobbling last weekend but when one of my friends went back mid week he got one gobble after fly down and that was it. Still lots of hens and most of those hens will never breed just wish the gobblers would figure that out and come to the hen sounds I'm making.

Fingers crossed for Sunday and bow season.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu