A visitor to my house a few nights ago

doccherry

May 7, 2021
We live in Fallbrook close to the Fallbrook Winery. These guys come into my yard almost every night and we had one come up onto the back pavilion area and then up to the slider leading out from the master bedroom. Our neighbors were having a BBQ one evening and a lion hopped over the fence and chased their dog. They frightened it off. Several neighbors have had their little dogs disappear in the afternoon. We have 3 little rescue dogs from when we lived in HI and they would make an appetizer for these 'yotes. Firearms aren't legal but pellet rifles are and mine will punch a hole thru these guys if I can get a shot off at close range. I even set up a motion detector so I could hop out of bed and nail one but so far they have proven beyond a reasonable doubt that they are smarter than me. Any suggestions on how I can get rid of these guys or at least scare them off? Only legal methods, please. No C4 or 50 BMG with a sound suppressor.

Attachments

• coyote in pavillion.JPG
    coyote in pavillion.JPG
    178.5 KB · Views: 15
  • MFDC0649.JPG
    MFDC0649.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 14
Doc,

There isn't a whole lot you can do about them...A high powered pellet gun may be the answer when you have the opportunity...Jacob has a security light that reminds me of the movie Home Alone...It says, "Get out of here, you dirty rat".

ps....I added the "dirty rat" part...... :joy:

Doc,

There isn't a whole lot you can do about them...A high powered pellet gun may be the answer when you have the opportunity...Jacob has a security light that reminds me of the movie Home Alone...It says, "Get out of here, you dirty rat".

ps....I added the "dirty rat" part...... :joy:
Jimmy Cagney added the dirty rat part. Shows my age.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Probably won't work for you but my mothers side of the family in New Mexico used to hang the carcasses on the fence next to the trails they followed. Would not see any sign of them for quite awhile after that. I guess they hated seeing their cousin rotting on the barb wire....

Snares work great.

§4152. Taking of Nongame Mammals Found Injuring Crops or Property
(a) Except as provided in Section 4005, nongame mammals and black-tailed jackrabbits, muskrats, and red fox squirrels that are found to be injuring growing crops or other property may be taken at any time or in any manner in accordance with this code by the owner or tenant of the premises or employees thereof, except that if leghold steel-jawed traps are used to take those mammals, the traps and
the use thereof shall be in accordance with subdivisions (a), (b), and (d) of Section 4004. They may also be taken by officers or employees of the Department of Food and Agriculture or by federal, county, or city, officers or employees when acting in their official capacities pursuant to the provisions of the Food and Agricultural Code pertaining to pests, or pursuant to Article 6 (commencing with Section 6021) of Chapter 9 of Part 1 of Division 4 of the Food and Agricultural Code. Persons taking mammals in accordance with this section are exempt from the requirements of Section 3007. Raw furs, as defined in Section 4005, that are taken under this section, may not be sold.
(b) Traps used pursuant to this section shall be inspected and all animals in the trap shall be removed at least once daily. The inspection and removal shall be done by the person who sets the trap or the owner of the land where the trap is set or an agent of either.

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu