A walk in the fields

Bonejour

Rut - Me worry?
Jan 27, 2013
I hope you all are enjoying a great Independence Weekend.

I thought I'd head up yesterday to get in some rabbit hunting. The spot is on private land and you have to walk through a pasture, so as I walked I did a little target practice on a couple of ground squirrels: about an inch low at 25 yards, and right on the money at 50... :) The little .22 Winchester Wildcat in the picture is the one my friend gave me last year that had the warped fore end in need of some work. My eyes are too old for iron sights so I added a slightly-used Leupold scope I bought from NBK when he was upgrading.

In the lower pastures it was easy to watch the cow paths for snakes, but as I worked my way farther in, I felt pretty stupid not having my heavier (leather) boots and snake gaiters or maybe even snake chaps. You know the feeling, when you picture how stupid you'll feel when you have to report how you got bitten by a rattler? That's how I was feeling, and it was kind of distracting. I was snooping around stands of wild roses so there weren't any well-worn trails to follow. In the really deep stuff I couldn't see the ground and that was pretty creepy. At one point a 12-15 inch-long spotted creature wriggled out of my way. I thought it was a big lizard from the way it wriggled rather than wound its way through the grass, but I backed away and went around just in case.

As I worked my way to and around the stands of roses, I spooked up two juvenile coyotes that were lying hidden under the tall grass. I had my .223 in the scabbard of my Eberlestock H2 pack as well as the .22 in my hand, but I gave them a pass for the day. I'll be back another day looking for them and their parents.

There was good habitat, and I almost stepped on a cottontail as I approached a dry creek bed with 6" tall green grass among several stands of cover. It scampered off down the trail and into the bush. So I just walked around a bit more to let the shadows lengthen. I saw three hen turkeys with no poults, feeding on a hillside about 500 yards off. I tried photographing but even at maximum mag, it was hard to see them. There were plenty of ground squirrels out but I didn't want to make too much ruckus at this point. As the sun descended, I spotted one very skittish cottontail that kept retreating to cover whenever I moved. I eventually got him; he's the one in the middle ;) The one on the left was sitting quietly just inside cover minding his own business, and I just happened to notice the white around his eye while I was scanning the row of roses waiting for the other one to show again. I squeeze gutted both of them and headed back to the creek bed. Meanwhile one of the coyote pups had showed again on a trail along a fenceline about 50 yards off. He didn't see me as I stood motionless waiting for Peter rabbit to show, but his day pass was still good. The rabbit on the right came out at dusk right where that first one had disappeared after running up the trail. She's a fat momma. I missed a fourth that came out just after her, farther down the creek bed. He didn't give me time for a follow up shot.

All in all it was a good afternoon.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436120349.435400.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436120349.435400.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 51
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436120362.539753.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436120362.539753.jpg
    511.7 KB · Views: 45
Thanks gentlemen. The backcountry in San Diego really is a stunning place to take a walk.

I got out again today after our out-of-town guests left. Did a little archery practice with my broad heads in preparation for some upcoming hunts with Neil and Casey, then went for a walk near where I was last week. I still don't have snake gaiters, but I double-layered with two pair of gaiters and I used my heavy leather boots so I wouldn't have to watch every step. No rattlers, but I did see a shy little gopher snake (pictured). I didn't need the gaiters for the snakes, but they helped with the foxtails. Geez! Those things get everywhere!
There was a lot of coyote cross-talk out to the west of me over the ridge. I found some rocks to sit by to do some calling before the rabbits showed, but there were some pretty good size pieces of molted snake skin and holes, so I didn't sit down . I tried calling with my mouth call but couldn't distract them from what they were doing... They sounded like they were on a kill, then they were quiet. Maybe their bellies were full.
As the sun settled, I found a bunny nibbling around behind a clump of grass. He wouldn't show me anything but his head, but that was enough at 50 yards.
There were two others nearby. I got one with a head shot but the other retreated into the brush. Then I just walked around a little more, circling around to where some really skittish bunnies were hanging out, and managed to bag a third one just before I had to head back.
Three seems to be my daily limit, but now I've got enough for a stew. I'm very grateful for another successful hunt. Anyone have a favorite recipe?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436765792.792907.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436765792.792907.jpg
    586.1 KB · Views: 31
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436766097.287419.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436766097.287419.jpg
    670.8 KB · Views: 29
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436766384.315376.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436766384.315376.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 30
Nice Don! The gopher snake is a cool find too, much better than one that shakes its tail. For recipes, I love stews more than anyone, but I'm convinced a good old fashioned fry job is the best way to do cottontail. I soak it in buttermilk a day ahead, then right before frying I dredge in flour and seasonings. I like to shallow fry em in a cast iron skillet, then drain the oil and save a bit to make pan gravy.

9761ab0d1708a2397753273411558388.jpg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu