A22 Prep

Zachappa

Nov 4, 2018
Quick question,

Just wanted to see how many arrows people shoot to get ready for deer season?

I've been trying to shoot everyday. pretty much shoot as much as I can , then shoot 3 more, but was wondering how many other people shoot.

I'm about to dust off the bow case... wish me luck. jk… I try and practice as much as possible but probably not enough still, work and life get in the way.

Quick question,

Just wanted to see how many arrows people shoot to get ready for deer season?

I've been trying to shoot everyday. pretty much shoot as much as I can , then shoot 3 more, but was wondering how many other people shoot.

I shoot at least once a week, I have 14 or so 3Ds in my yard, a couple of friends shoot with me also, and I shoot once a month @ my club Lemon Grove Rod & Gun, which is open to the public

since the close of last year ive been shooting about once a week. im pretty dialed in these days so i just make sure sure i shoot with practice broad heads at all pins to make sure im on.

I shoot as many as I can until my arms start buckling or my wife yells at me to come back inside the house

just my thoughts , careful with shooting to much and as a person gets tired, the form goes to hell and muscles get tired.
I pace my self, I try not to wear my self out.. aiming goes to hell so does the form..
that's why I shoot 3 arrows , not to wear out my muscles... take breaks,
the 3 d shoots were great but a bit long,, with my long bow I did great the first 2/3 of the shots, I would start to loose accuracy
after the last 1/3 of practice.. with compound its more forgiving but can still tire you out...

just my thoughts , careful with shooting to much and as a person gets tired, the form goes to hell and muscles get tired.
I pace my self, I try not to wear my self out.. aiming goes to hell so does the form..
that's why I shoot 3 arrows , not to wear out my muscles... take breaks,
the 3 d shoots were great but a bit long,, with my long bow I did great the first 2/3 of the shots, I would start to loose accuracy
after the last 1/3 of practice.. with compound its more forgiving but can still tire you out...
I'm still pretty new to bowhunting, hunting in general. I've taken down a good handful of big game with bow and rifle, but I still get the crazy shakes, and that being said, I've missed a good handful of shots as well that should've been made. I know you've been doing it for a while, so you could probably answer this question pretty well: whats the best way to control all the crazy shakes your body ultimately goes through? That crunch time when it comes down to finally pulling the trigger... how do you make it work consistently and accurately? Cause I feel like for all the newbies out there, that's the hardest thing mentally.

I down loaded the latest OnXhunt yesterday phew , I had to blow it out while back because I have a cheap smart phone with lack of memory.
I add xtra sd card , but still low. any way.
doing e scouting I believe this time I will be in the sweet spot... I found water so it should help..
Talking about reptition injury, my freaking elbow was damaged from my part time job, + gout not helping even thou I am taking
medication . its gonna be touchy... with the arm. so baby it until I need to make that crucial shot ... I am praying to gods & spirits.
OK @ hatchet give me some love here brother and make it happen for me now... and all is well between us. i get grouchy with my body failing.
no else's but my problem tho...
so to the rest of you fellas think about my issue don't let it be yours. to much high draw weight can and will do damage..
especially as you get older..
i been practicing with my 45LB draw weigh recurve.. it's a bit noisy but fun..

I'm still pretty new to bowhunting, hunting in general. I've taken down a good handful of big game with bow and rifle, but I still get the crazy shakes, and that being said, I've missed a good handful of shots as well that should've been made. I know you've been doing it for a while, so you could probably answer this question pretty well: whats the best way to control all the crazy shakes your body ultimately goes through? That crunch time when it comes down to finally pulling the trigger... how do you make it work consistently and accurately? Cause I feel like for all the newbies out there, that's the hardest thing mentally.
hey brother after 45 years I still get the freaking shakes, I sure that's have my problem I hunt, choking big time.. funny I use to be cool as ice, something changed..
maybe more pressure as I get older. LOL

Reactions: QuePasaJames

If you don’t get excited there’s something wrong with you

If you love hunting, I don't think there's any calming of the nerves really. I think muscle memory and repetition is the only thing that helps, so when that opportunity comes, your practiced instincts, whether it be releasing a bow or pulling that trigger comes as natural as can be. Almost reminds me of playing baseball and basketball growing up.. hours spent in batting practice perfecting your swing or on the free throw line, so that when a tough game situation comes along, your dialed in mechanics can hopefully pull you through the nerves.

P.s. I've blown more shots than have made.. So take this with a grain of salt lol.

Never had a problem with the “shakes”, didn't know it was a thing. Try not eating the day before your hunt.

Never had a problem with the “shakes”, didn't know it was a thing. Try not eating the day before your hunt.
If you know the answer to that...you found your million dollar idea. Nerves are part of it and I believe we all go through it to some degree. For me once I decide it's a legal/shooter animal, I focus on a spot and not the antlers etc. The longer I have between making that determination and the shot...the greater the chance for the shakes to creep in. Best advice I got was to focus on breathing and shooting form. It gives your mind something to focus on other than the shot. Good luck this year.

If you know the answer to that...you found your million dollar idea. Nerves are part of it and I believe we all go through it to some degree. For me once I decide it's a legal/shooter animal, I focus on a spot and not the antlers etc. The longer I have between making that determination and the shot...the greater the chance for the shakes to creep in. Best advice I got was to focus on breathing and shooting form. It gives your mind something to focus on other than the shot. Good luck this year.
Meant that for QuePasaJames.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu