A31

Shmee22

Apr 19, 2014
Anybody having any luck in the late archery season?
It's been hard spotting these deer this season. I was looking forward to hitting the Mtns after this rain today and expected to see deer moving around but I didn't even see a track!!! I'm just running out of steam... Lol. I'm going to give it one or two more mornings and then I'm going to hang up the deer gear for the year.

Stay with it. Still a few weeks left. I'm working this weekend but may get out for five and coyote if I'm lucky. Back out with the bow next weekend.

I'm with you. It has been tough out. I was hoping the rain would do something for getting the deer on the move. It made all the droppings look real fresh.

Anyone got any advice on how long to sit and glass one hillside before moving to another?

Bidd_s, glass your A$$ off, move a little & do it again, then do it again. You have to pick the whole thing apart, it blows my mind some times, I will be glassing for hours, then bam, buck right there the whole time.

You also need to be in an area that there are deer in, you could glass for a month and not see any deer, if there are not any in the area. how do you know if there are deer there? from your scouting.

It's hard as he!! to glass all day and not see any deer. If you have done your scouting you already know there are deer there, if you have not done your scouting your just trying to shoot in the dark.

Deer move all the time, they have to, some times ether food, pressure or predators will make them move out of your area.

Hope this helps, it's just my 2 cents, and worth what you paid.

Sounds like you need to cover lots of area to find the deer again. No tracks no deer so you know they have moved on so should you. Go back to google earth find some areas with water, food and cover start there. It may also help to call the deer biologist and ask about the deer migration in your zone that could help.

But nothing works as well as boots on the ground going deep

Good luck!

MJB said:
Sounds like you need to cover lots of area to find the deer again. No tracks no deer so you know they have moved on so should you. Go back to google earth find some areas with water, food and cover start there. It may also help to call the deer biologist and ask about the deer migration in your zone that could help.

But nothing works as well as boots on the ground going deep

Good luck!

Well I haven't been trying just one area all season long. I will go up high in the sheep country and and see deer tracks not sheep tracks but no deer moving during the day. Then next I'll try lower in the areas where we have seen plenty of tracks but it's the same story. The deer just aren't moving during the day. I always get there just before daybreak also so it's not like I'm getting there too late. Now that it just snowed yesterday I might head up there tomorrow or Monday. Hopefully it gets the deer moving to find food and stay warm. D11 just doesn't hold very many areas to just sit and glass at least up where I know the areas. There are a couple of spots but those are heavily hunted. I'm just still learning the late season deer patterns as this is only my 2nd late season. Hopefully I'll figure something out.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu