Accidental Duck Hunter

WaterDawg

Nov 20, 2016
On my last adventure I was after ECDs but couldn't find any. I stumbled upon a cottontail honey hole and limited on the substitute quarry. So yesterday I went out to the high desert in search of quail. Couldn't find any quail. The recent rain left standing water all over the place, and I eventually stumbled upon some ducks. I've never hunted duck in the proper way (blind, calling, freezing cold etc.), but I always buy a duck stamp just in case, and it finally paid off. Loaded some steel shot and got two mallards. There were two pairs, and I shot both males (I guess that was the right thing to do?). Thank god for YouTube I was able to see how to field dress them. Now I need a recipe.

Maybe next time I'll go duck hunting and end up with chukar or who knows what?

Good Luck!

Untitled.png

just make sure you only have steel shot in your possession. filet the breast meat off, you will have 2 nice filets. wrap in bacon and throw on the BBQ.

I get oil real hot in a pan then flower, salt, and pepper 1/4-1/2" think filet's. Throw on the grease for a minute or so each side tastes great.

I say DO NOT wrap in bacon. Truducts way sounds much tastier.

Mallards make such a great portion of meat. As long as you don't over cook it should taste awesome.

I usually save the bacon wrapping for appetizers with smaller duck breasts and dove.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have nowhere near the experience of the others, but last year we pond-jumped a few widgeons and mallards. I think MJB recommended just marinating in olive oil, salt and pepper and then cooking rare like tenderloin. It was as good as any duck breast I've ever eaten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have nowhere near the experience of the others, but last year we pond-jumped a few widgeons and mallards. I think MJB recommended just marinating in olive oil, salt and pepper and then cooking rare like tenderloin. It was as good as any duck breast I've ever eaten.
Should I brine it or soak in milk first? Very dark meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can soak in milk or brine. All up to you. I do them both ways. If they are really shot up and bloody I soak in milk. If not, I just cook them how they are.

WD,

Congrats on the 'lards......Very little meat on ducks, other than the breast meat (legs have a some)......I filet the breast meat off, then cut a hole in one end and stuff with cheese & jalapenos.....Then wrap entire breast with bacon & toothpick into place......BBQ till bacon is done.....Slice cross ways.

For anyone who do think this is delish......Come to the Super Bowl Party.....;)

ps......You do know you need 2 duck stamps right?.....Federal & state

WD,

Congrats on the 'lards......Very little meat on ducks, other than the breast meat (legs have a some)......I filet the breast meat off, then cut a hole in one end and stuff with cheese & jalapenos.....Then wrap entire breast with bacon & toothpick into place......BBQ till bacon is done.....Slice cross ways.

Will be making some ruddy poppers for your awesome party Steve!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

WD,

Yes two stamps. Thanks for the recipe ideas guys. Looking forward to trying some

Yes two stamps. Thanks for the recipe ideas guys. Looking forward to trying some
WD,

Almost the same recipe , I use elk meat ins

I say DO NOT wrap in bacon. Truducts way sounds much tastier.

Mallards make such a great portion of meat. As long as you don't over cook it should taste awesome.

I usually save the bacon wrapping for appetizers with smaller duck breasts and dove.

Kills the spooney taste LOL

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu