Action Alert: Barrett Lake closing Hunting

Duckfan

Mar 7, 2015
I received this from CWA. I am not a San Diego citizen so can not help. But you might be able too:

The City of San Diego is currently considering closing Barrett Reservoir to waterfowl hunting, ostensibly because of budget issues. Please urge the Mayor and City Council to keep Barrett Reservoir open for public hunting.

The San Diego area has very limited public hunting opportunities, particularly for waterfowl. Shutting down hunting at Barrett Reservoir--which has occurred for over 60 years and is a traditional use--would leave local hunters with few options. Currently, waterfowl hunting there is already limited to two hunt days per week during season, with just a handful of blinds available (depending on water levels).

Like some other public waterfowl hunt programs, changes could be considered that would reduce costs such as setting up an iron ranger/self check-in and reporting bird harvest on-line. Many hunters would also be willing to consider higher fees if that would mean keeping the area open.

The hearing on this issue is scheduled for May 11th. Please contact the San Diego Mayor and City Council NOW to protect waterfowl hunting and keep it viable in the area

Good luck

Hi Rick,

I posted this, but one more time does not hurt...Our biggest issue here is, most folks who use these "CITY" lake, don't live in the City of San Diego...Hence, no voice in the politics of their usage.

ps...Same thing happened with the Chargers...Over 70% of the folks who attended their game did not live in San Diego City proper...When they had the vote to keep them (new stadium), 70% of the people who actually went to games, had no say.

I sent my email yesterday. I barely found out they held hunts there this year because of this site and was looking forward to trying to get a spot this year. Such a shame if we lose this opportunity. There are so few and far in between.

I doubt it will do any good but here’s what I got back within seconds we need to fight this or we will lose hunting at both Barrett and southerland
Thank you for contacting the Office of Mayor Kevin L. Faulconer. Due to a high number of inquiries related to COVID-19, our responses may be delayed. If you are contacting us about this topic, please see the information below. For all other inquiries, we appreciate your patience during this time.

Protecting the health of all San Diegans is our top priority. The City of San Diego is taking measures in consultation with, and at the direction of, County public health officials to help prevent the spread of the novel Coronavirus disease, also known as COVID-19.

We know that it is neither convenient nor easy to operate during this time of uncertainty. Recent changes are having a real impact on how we live our daily lives. Even though there is much we cannot control, we can control how we respond to these events. All actions taken by the City will be based on facts, science, and the well-being of our community.

We ask all San Diegans to follow the advice and common-sense hygiene recommendations of the County's public health professionals. For information regarding cases and directives from the County of San Diego, please visit www.coronavirus-sd.com.

• Angry
Reactions: ilovesprig
A little better personal reply from Scott Sherman but still doesn’t look good. Gen’s Facebook post is worse I got to get out o

Folks....EVERYONE that hunts or fishes SoCal needs to call the office of Mayor Faulkner...We are on the brink of losing what we all cherish...PLEASE HELP US!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu