Additional Board Suggestions

WaterDog

Apr 18, 2020
Nor Cal, The Twilight Zone
First I want to say this is a great site. I’m a Hunter, fisherman and outdoorsman and this site has it all. Glad that member CAL.NDN turned me on to it., thanks Chris. This place is starting to feel like family. I have some suggestions that may make it an even better site. There are a lot of fishermen out there. There use to be a lot of primarily fishing sites but many have disappeared over the years. The most recent was the FishSniffer site which shut down a couple weeks ago. They were mostly N.Cal with thousands of members, currently looking for a home. . They were around for over 20 years and had many thousands of members. There were many factors contributing to their demise but the current pandemic was a big one due to advertiser loss. I see from some of the names that many have already come over here. (Thanks mostly to CAL.NDN)
My suggestion which I think will attract more members and more advertisers is to increase the number of fishing related boards. For example in addition to general freshwater and saltwater boards additional boards like the Trout board (trout board was the most popular on several sites.) ,Fly Fishing, Fresh Water Striper Fishing, Salmon/Kokanee, Bass Fishing, Delta Fishing (thousands of people fish the 1500 plus miles of California delta every day), a Kayak, Inflatable and Tube board. Those are a few suggestions. If you try them and they don’t work out you can always close them. Other related boards might include Truck,4x4,and off road board, Boating and Marine board. Anyway these are just a few suggestions that may make this site even greater than it already is.

Had me at TRUCK dude!!! and yes GD, sadly the Larry factor has brought a somber tone...oh Larry!!!

My 2 cents is all forums have gone way down in traffic in the last few years but the fishing boards like SDFish, FishingNetwork. net etc. have really fallen off. More people have gone to social media where they can get lots of attention if that's what they want or limit who sees their content if they're of that mindset. Most people that are successful anglers aren't doing things to create more competition by announcing a bite is on, this lake is hot etc. The people that catch fish are on the water anyway and limit info to tight groups. All I see for the most part are people hoping to get tips but they get them from other newbies or low knowledge fishermen, blind leading the blind so to speak. There is also the occasional guy with some knowledge that wants to be an interweb hero that gives details of every day on the water and answers questions while pounding his chest proudly.
That said I've enjoyed all the quality trout pics on here recently.

Reactions: CRABBY and Bigfin
The Pacific ocean is huge , and fishing pics and tips would be beneficial and fun to share.
Lakes and streams is fun to see, and the woppers fisherman catch is fun to see and share.
A lot of us do both hunting and fishing
And it would behove our hunting and fishing communities to help each other.

Yeah I really like Ocean fishing and LB is right theres so many different species out there . So my thats why I enjoy the show Wicked Tuna also I like the dollar amount !!! I'm with ya on the forums going down in traffic but a lot of us are older and dont need to beat our chests so to speak and burn spots we actually enjoy the forums over social media sites . Hell my daughters BF is a fish brain junkie , lol . Thats ok if ya like that kinda stuff I prefer to socialize with like minded people thats why I love these forums . Info learned is info loved . BF

i think he moved back over to the TOF......

forums are making a comeback... we have seen a big spike in the last year in page views. FB sucks for finding info and doing research. Its turned into a big hey look at me!

@WaterDog we are very excited to have our new nocal friends on the site! we can be the home you want and we are stable and growing with a big server upgrade just as you guys all came on.

We will talk it over but i think we could do something for to make it more like home! WE WANT TO EXPAND!!!!! Thank you @CAL'NDN If you guy skeep saying http://fishsniffer.com we index very fast with google and as people search for it they will find us and you!!!! if one of you knows the owner we would love email list we could invite them over here

Your welcome. And thank you you guys are great here. We all will keep the invites coming from all the cool old fish sniffer people.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

forums are making a comeback... we have seen a big spike in the last year in page views. FB sucks for finding info and doing research. Its turned into a big hey look at me!

@WaterDog we are very excited to have our new nocal friends on the site! we can be the home you want and we are stable and growing with a big server upgrade just as you guys all came on.

We will talk it over but i think we could do something for to make it more like home! WE WANT TO EXPAND!!!!! Thank you @CAL'NDN If you guy skeep saying http://fishsniffer.com we index very fast with google and as people search for it they will find us and you!!!! if one of you knows the owner we would love email list we could invite them over here
The Larry told me he took to much flack over at TOF, so he came over here and it was de-ja vu all over again. Anywho TOF is down has been for a few days. may be temp. or permanent, only time will tell. I Called ODP but haven't heard back as of yet.

The FishSniffer biweekly print newspaper is still going but temporarily not being printed. There are 3 or 4 owners, one of them is Cal Kellog. Here is some possibly helpful info.

The Fish Sniffer. P.O. Box 776 Colfax CA 95713. 833-347-4661. [email protected] A new member here CRABBY use to work for the FishSniffer and was in charge of the FishSniffer website A few years ago. He may be able to provide you with information. He signed on here thanks again to CAL.NDN.

My 2 cents is all forums have gone way down in traffic in the last few years but the fishing boards like SDFish, FishingNetwork. net etc. have really fallen off.
Screenshot_20200504-202502_Gmail.jpg
Thanks for reminding me that SDFish misses me lol. In all seriousness though, the ease of navigating this site makes it a draw I think. SDFish and some others can be a bit wonky at times. And x2 on the social media front.. a lot of the youngsters just want to use the Gram as their bragging board to get likes.. not many want actual discussion like we get here.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Yup the discussion is the best part!!!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

@WaterDog lets see some waterfowl pics. i have always wanted to drag my airboat up to the sf delta and go slide
Unfortunately most of my digital hunting pics got wiped out (weren’t backed up), have a couple though. My avatar pic is my lab Sprig. Finest retriever on the planet (at least in my opinion). The delta is a tough place to hunt, often not productive at least where the public has access to for many reasons. If you want to hunt public water up north the place to do so is the bay around Montezuma slough, Grizzly island, Honker bay. I’ve had fabulous hunts there. Mostly divers but you get a real mixed bag there - goldeneye, buffalhead, teal, mallards, canvasbacks, scaup, widgeon and so on. Shooting gets good usually late December. Actually that area is considered part of the delta.

The FishSniffer biweekly print newspaper is still going but temporarily not being printed. There are 3 or 4 owners, one of them is Cal Kellog. Here is some possibly helpful info.

The Fish Sniffer. P.O. Box 776 Colfax CA 95713. 833-347-4661. [email protected] A new member here CRABBY use to work for the FishSniffer and was in charge of the FishSniffer website A few years ago. He may be able to provide you with information. He signed on here thanks again to CAL.NDN.
I'd like to help but I no longer have access to the member list an e mails an there's no telling what wes ward did with the info or if it still exists.It appears many of the good active members are here minus about another 10or so.The sniffer forums as many of you know were becoming pretty slow (prior corona virus)When I ran the board hundreds of new posts daily were common,after I retired a lot of what I accomplished was slowly destroyed by the new management.At any rate any involvement with the sniffer in its currant condition may be non productive .Best bet for a mailing list would be finaddicts or I'mhooked ,finaddicts still has a archive site up.

Looks like Rich pulled I'm hooked off line Finaddicts is still up for members an shows member list an e mails ?

Well not sure if the link is working it shows ya gotta log in??

Last edited:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Example, My phone recently did an auto update, now when I take a photo, it comes out upside down. I might text something like,, I was thinking about going to the lake this morning, and it comes out, I wish I thought around going to the latrine this mooing. If it ain't broke don't fix it...……………………………...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu