Advice for new hunters!!

Jawbreaker

Apr 6, 2023
Hi Guys, I'd like to give a little advice for the guys that are new to hunting feel free to add to this because I am definitely not going to cover it all.
Let me give you a little background to this. Last night I was ready to sleep because I wanted to hunt this morning and get a call from my cousin that his buddy shot a deer and wasn't sure what to do with it or how to process it. I told him that if he brought the deer to my house I would help him quarter it out. it turns out I knew the guy as well and was able to help him figure out what to do.
Here's where the advice come in. If you are not sure what to do with the game you are hunting maybe you should think twice about going, this worked out for him but this is not the first time I have seen where a hunter had no clue what to do with their kill.
1- have a plan on what to do with the kill whether you are gutting and skinning or quartering it out( I really like the gutless method but that's not for everyone)
2- if you don't know what to do that's ok but know who you can call to help
3-know the legalities, tag it properly and know who can validate your tag
4- know how long it will take before the meat goes bad which id dependent on the weather
5-if you process it off of the mountain know where to get rid of the carcass

there is so much I am not even thinking about right now but I wanted to at least throw out a few things for the new hunter to think about before going out and killing an animal because it would be a shame to have it go to waist because you are not prepared. feel free to add any added advice that would be helpfull.

My advice start with small game, such as Rabbit.
Let's take step back even better is to have a mentor, or yes hire a guide if you want to jump right in.
The other suggestion is be in excellent physical condition.
Now about the rabbit. Down load on a mobile device such as a cell phone.
Different procedures how to gut, clean and skin a rabbit. Rabbit are stinky if you have mastered processing a rabbit then step to a larger animal and use the same basic procedure. Except down load a video
On the procedures for processing a deer.
One could buy goat and dispatch and practice on that it will be the same.
Ask the seller if they will help.
Back to deer, again a mentor is the best route to take good luck to all
And safe journey.

Reactions: DayHunter433
1. Have more than one location picked out.
2. If someone has beat you to the spot leave and go to your back up spot
3. Hunt into the wind. they can see you and hear you but if they smell you, they are gone
4. Know your target and back drop
5. Do not shoot beyond your limit
6. Unsure of shot placement give it time but check for blood, guts etc that will give you idea of time you may need to wait
7. Learn some basic tracking
8. Patience and more Patience
9. Move slowly and when you think you are move twice as slow.
10. Be prepared to care for the meat properly

My advice start with small game, such as Rabbit.
Let's take step back even better is to have a mentor, or yes hire a guide if you want to jump right in.
The other suggestion is be in excellent physical condition.
Now about the rabbit. Down load on a mobile device such as a cell phone.
Different procedures how to gut, clean and skin a rabbit. Rabbit are stinky if you have mastered processing a rabbit then step to a larger animal and use the same basic procedure. Except down load a video
On the procedures for processing a deer.
One could buy goat and dispatch and practice on that it will be the same.
Ask the seller if they will help.
Back to deer, again a mentor is the best route to take good luck to all
And safe journey.
I did something similar. I watched a video of gutting a deer at home and made a text document with screen grabs of specific parts in the notes app of my phone. Just another option.

Reactions: Designed2Hunt

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu