Advice hunting near Alamo Mountain in D13?

smokindice

Dec 6, 2018
I applied to a couple share hunts but didn't get the draw, I still have a D13 tag however. My plan is to go up mid season, camp at Twin Pines Campground, hike in and glass for a couple days around Alamo Mountain, my dad suggested the area from when he hunted many years ago. With no scouting time due to job and family this trip may just turn into a scouting trip for next year.

My question is if that is a busy or popular location? The campground is first come first serve, so if it's full can anyone recommend a backup plan? I would likely drive up on a Friday, and set up for the weekend. Thanks for the advice!

Thank you for the advice. Not as familiar with those zones, any specific regulations I need to worry about or areas to stay away from. I have ONX but I always appreciate when people share unfriendly roads through private land where the landowners hate you for preserving our ecosystem by culling a heard of deer so they don't over eat vegetation...you know the kind.

I did some quail hunts up in d-13 last year , one trip I saw 3 bucks on tail gates . The second trip I saw 2 on tail gates . I have done the early archery deer hunts in D-13 many times . I was always shocked at how many deer I would see . And how few people were around . General rifle season brings a crowed For sure go early Friday to get a spot . Look for a high mountain ridge or a pronounced saddle far from parking . Let the other guys chase the deer to you . Good hunting .

Reactions: smokindice
I did some quail hunts up in d-13 last year , one trip I saw 3 bucks on tail gates . The second trip I saw 2 on tail gates . I have done the early archery deer hunts in D-13 many times . I was always shocked at how many deer I would see . And how few people were around . General rifle season brings a crowed For sure go early Friday to get a spot . Look for a high mountain ridge or a pronounced saddle far from parking . Let the other guys chase the deer to you . Good hunting .

That sounds promising. Thanks for the advice. Maybe next year I will go for archery. I have a 40lb recurve but would be more comfortable taking a longer shot with a compound so I need to upgrade.

The early archery gives you a chance to pattern the deer , of course that all goes out the window during rifle season . Unless your way out in the back country . One archery season in D- 13 miles from the truck . I blundered up to the top of ridge , I almost gave up the hike to the top . I jumped two 4X4 bucks , and a 3x3 bedded beside the large down fall pines at the top . I thought on the way up the ridge , there, s no deer up here . I always thought it would be a great spot to spend the night . And wait for the bucks in the morning in a future season .Big bucks don't seem to return to spots you spooked them out of . Year by year as you hunt the zone you will gain more inside information on game habits in the area .

Reactions: smokindice

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu