Affordable Bino Tripod Adapter?

Jdrivsd619

Train Hard. Hunt Harder.
Feb 6, 2015
Jamul
I want to start using a tripod under my zeiss 10x42 binos. Im always having to find tricky ways to balance or steady my binos using rocks or some sort of redneck ingenuity while on the mountain. I can't use the slim bino tripod adapter that attaches to the front swivel of the bino because the zeiss doesn't have a screw hole in the swivel. I also can't justify spending $150+ on a Leica or Swarovski (the only companies I could find that had a product) mount to strap in my bino. Has anyone developed any homemade rigs or have any suggestions on what they do to balance and steady their 10 power binos?

Are you positive you don't a screw hole? There is an axle there right? I had to pop the plastic cover off mine (non-Zeiss) to access the hole.

http://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Universal-Binocular-Tripod-Adapter/dp/B000FZQWMA
This plus this....
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0029QGQ5Q/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1463535970&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=slik+tripod&dpPl=1&dpID=41b3OJ6eZ0L&ref=plSrch
Is a deadly combo. I glassed hundreds of deer last year using these.. I use to just use my shooting sticks to stabilize my binoculars, the tripod will change the game for you. It really helps spotting animals bedded in the shade or in thick timber. Plus with tripod being lightweight and perfect for sit glassing you can't go wrong. The stability is great also..
8e5de1fce8ebde5ab275863f8f9a3411.jpg

11191b5412adbc4fc926642e2921ebb8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What model Zeiss do you have? I have only used the adapter on my swarovskis but I do have a pair of Zeiss Terra's I could see if it works or not..

http://www.eurooptic.com/leica-lrf-laser-rangefinder-tripod-mount-mpn-42221.aspx?gclid=CjwKEAjwguu5BRDq8uSKhaKIzDkSJACQ7WJlvfOSGZkUGD2nXeEpwy5JOxmdXFbPEKjKYfUXsm986RoCUWfw_wcB

might work...

I'm a glass snob (Leica or Swarovski for me), Taft is telling it right. I've used the Leica strap. I currently use Outdoorsman's brand tripod setup which is not cheap. The Leica strap works but rots and breaks frequently, Leica replaces it no charge but you gotta call and complain.

I just re read your post.. I'm so mad Zeiss doesn't have the front screw hole. I just checked mine and nothing wtf!!!

TaftHunter said:
I just re read your post.. I'm so mad Zeiss doesn't have the front screw hole. I just checked mine and nothing wtf!!!

Did you see my post? Are you sure it's not just covered with a plug? If there's a central axle there should be a screw shaft.

msteiger said:
TaftHunter said:

Did you see my post? Are you sure it's not just covered with a plug? If there's a central axle there should be a screw shaft.

I'm gonna have to look harder at the pair I have I guess. They are brand new and I didn't want to break anything. I'll post back when I find out

Jon,

I see good camera tripods at the swap meets all the time.....I have like 3 of them now.....Probably didn't pay more than 5 bucks each for them.....The adapter would be easy to make.....I've also converted a couple for shooting off of for Stefanie.

TaftHunter said:
What model Zeiss do you have? I have only used the adapter on my swarovskis but I do have a pair of Zeiss Terra's I could see if it works or not..

I have the terra 10x42... There is no removable cap that i could see?

TaftHunter said:
msteiger said:
TaftHunter said:

Yeah I was pretty pissed and almost regret not buying vortex instead...

I'm gonna have to look harder at the pair I have I guess. They are brand new and I didn't want to break anything. I'll post back when I find out

Jdrivsd619 said:
TaftHunter said:

I have the terra 10x42... There is no removable cap that i could see?

I have the Zeiss Terra ED 10x42s, I can confirm the Vortex universal adapter works. I bought one after reading this post and installed it tonight. You just have to unscrew the plastic plug. Mine came out easily.
e49eb8b1df4aaef34c5bf7b982ab4f92.jpg
313ec593fd0a40ddfca17f392c7146d6.jpg
466355d59b9f55be68518f98ac6f65af.jpg
Thanks for the info everyone!!!

You guys are awesome!!! I was afraid to go messing around with my Binos since I only have one pair rn!! Thanks guys!!

Just ordered the vortex bio adapter and a vortex ridgeview tripod, I have never owned or used a tripod for any sort of glassing or filming but I'm hopeful this will help increase my odds of spotting deer in the thick chaparral in the areas i hunt... review to follow on tripod on bino adapter.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu