After over 10 years getting back into hunting

Rogerskd

Marine hunter
Feb 1, 2013
oak park
I have not hunted in over ten years and the last time that I did it was in Tennessee. Any tips or suggestions that any one has please feel free to throw out there. I feel that I am back to square one like i will be hunting for the first time. So I am a little lost if you know what I mean. Thank you in advance for any help. My goal this year is to hunt for my first turkey. Now that I am not in the military anymore I can put some time in on this goal so wish me luck. Kyle

I hunted White tail When I was 17 I'm 31 now and way behind the times I think. I have never hunted turkey so any suggestions I will take. Thanks

Don't know were you live but get get a NF map or a BLM map for areas close to you. Call F&W and ask them about some of the areas you picked out. Then get out and scout. You can't hunt them if you don't know were they are.

Lungpopper said:
Don't know were you live but get get a NF map or a BLM map for areas close to you. Call F&W and ask them about some of the areas you picked out. Then get out and scout. You can't hunt them if you don't know were they are.

This is probably the best advice that can be given to a newbie. You missed the Turkey Tune up which usually has good info on it. There is also a link on the DFG's website http://dfg.ca.gov/Hunting/ in the middle towards the bottom is a PDF guide for hunting turkeys that might help also.

Welcome aboard

Looks like i'm going to be spending sometime in the woods :D, Does anyone know how the public land above Julian is like?

There is none. Most of it is privately owned. To the southwest of town you can get into the CNF. Get yourself a topo atlas from your nearest ranger station. It will show you all the public/ private land.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu