Air Rifles - Do they loose power over the years ?

KennyQuacker

Jun 13, 2013
El Cajon, CA
I'm wondering if air rifles loose power over the years ?

About 20 years ago ;) I purchased a Winchester 800fps .177 air rifle, break-barrel, single-shot, $100 at WallyMart.

I have been very inconsistent shooting it over the years, so it's tough to tell for sure if it has lost power . It shoots holes in aluminum cans at 20 yards of course, but it won't completely bury a pellet in a 2x4 point blank.

Thoughts ?

I would imagine there are maintenance steps that need to be performed on a regular schedule. Normal cleaning and o-ring inspection, lube, or replacement.

Reactions: ilovesprig
I think @ilovesprig limited on cottons this AM before the sun was even up lol. Maybe he'll chime in.

Yes, he did........ :joy:

As far as the question goes...The springs do weaken and O-rings should be changed out occasionally...100 dollar pellet guns are entry level and work, but I'm thinking the guts are probably of lesser quality...:worried:

I shot most my rabbits last year with a Gamo, NRA Special Edition, brake barrel .177...The one thing I've found with all the pellet guns I've shot is every few shots you get a flyer...Probably just the nation of the beast...;)

I now shoot a Umarex Gauntlet in .25...Quiet, strong, 8 round mag, and pretty easy to operate...Reasonably priced as well...Around $300.00 and definitely worth the investment...:blush:

Steve, did you buy an electric pump for it or are you hand pumping it? If electric what do you recommend and what's the cost?

Steve, did you buy an electric pump for it or are you hand pumping it? If electric what do you recommend and what's the cost?

It came with a hand pump, but that is a total PITA...Stefanie and Jacob got me this pump for Christmas...Fills to 3000 psi in about 3 minutes.... :clap:

Spritech air compressor....Amazon....$165.99

71Q7YVhtzEL._AC_SX679_.jpg81qrgo7DGuL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Reactions: YETI and duck-boy
I have a break barrel .22 cal that I've had for years. Zero maintenance. Still drops squirrels and rabbits at 20 yards with one shot all day every day.

Yes, he did........ :joy:

As far as the question goes...The springs do weaken and O-rings should be changed out occasionally...100 dollar pellet guns are entry level and work, but I'm thinking the guts are probably of lesser quality...:worried:

I shot most my rabbits last year with a Gamo, NRA Special Edition, brake barrel .177...The one thing I've found with all the pellet guns I've shot is every few shots you get a flyer...Probably just the nation of the beast...;)

I now shoot a Umarex Gauntlet in .25...Quiet, strong, 8 round mag, and pretty easy to operate...Reasonably priced as well...Around $300.00 and definitely worth the investment...:blush:

Thanks for that info. I will dig around and see if I can find the replacement O-Rings and Springs. If I can't, I'll put it aside for the grandkids to plink cans with. I'd like to get something that shoots hard enough to kill vermin around my pad. Too many around here. Thank you Much!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for that info. I will dig around and see if I can find the replacement O-Rings and Springs. If I can't, I'll put it aside for the grandkids to plink cans with. I'd like to get something that shoots hard enough to kill vermin around my pad. Too many around here. Thank you Much!!!!!!!!!

Kenny,

I just got this 4th of July add from Pyramid...Sounds like a nice rifle, reasonable price, and the cocking lever is a plus............ :clap:

Norica Dream Hunter Air Rifle
$249.99 | $219.99 w/ code FOURTH

mail.pngmail (2).jpgmail (1).jpg

Kenny,

I just got this 4th of July add from Pyramid...Sounds like a nice rifle, reasonable price, and the cocking lever is a plus............ :clap:

Norica Dream Hunter Air Rifle
$249.99 | $219.99 w/ code FOURTH

View attachment 62413View attachment 62414View attachment 62415
Hey I like that. Good deal and I like the lever too. Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: ilovesprig
I agree with most everything said here. but it would be nice to hear from Crossman999 on the subject.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu