Alaska Black Bear Hunt

kylemg0009

Jan 20, 2015
Costa Mesa, CA
hello SCH!

I will be flying to Anchorage next Friday to partake on a black bear hunt and halibut/fishing trip. 8 days, and the men I am going with are experienced Alaska hunter and have a couple of planes and a boat, so I have transportation taken care of.

However I am not use to the weather there. I have been watching the weather report for the past couple of weeks to ensure i have all the equipment necessary. Its been lows of the mod 30's, and highs are in the mid 50s, and rain almost every other day. Does anyone here have experience with this type of hunting trip and have any tips/recommendations on things to bring that I would not normally think to?

Last thing, it will be my first time traveling on a plane with a rifle and pistol. I have bought a nice heavy duty Plano gun case that I have cut out inside to fit the rifle, the bolt, and my glock. I have bought 4 heavy duty key locks to insert into the lock slots, and I am aware that I have to notify them that I am traveling with a firearm. Any tips on traveling with guns or things I need to make sure I have with me?

Thank you in advance SCH! :)

The only thing I'd add is that the locks should be TSA locks so they can look in the case if they need to. The locks don't need to be heavy duty; but the agents need to have access to check the contents.
When you enter the terminal, just check the case at the ticket counter and declare the firearms The agent will ask you to open the case, then they'll put in a form and have you lock up the case. In my experience every airport does it a little differently, but it's always easy.
Sounds like a great trip! Looking forward to pics

Thanks bonejour. I have looked up the regulations and it seems like I will need a key to show them inside, but then they are required to hand the keys back to me once my luggage has been checked. I will make a call to Alaska airlines tomorrow and look at the TSA website just to be sure. I've heard stories where people are at their transfer airport and the locks were not up to par and the guy got stuck in the airport and missed his flight to alaska ???

Pretty much all redhead gear as its in my budget, so I have good long underwear thermals. light rain jacket, rain pants and high ankle waterproof hiking boots. I feel like I might need a heavier rain jacket though.

Thanks for the tip Lungpopper. I couldn't find an Helly Hansens in my size/camo pattern but went and bought another heavy duty rain jacket. Also ordered more pairs of socks and long thermal ;) underwear. Thanks for the advice!

Think of your personal clothing in terms of your campink/hiking gear that protects you from the elements; merino wool base layers wick moisture from your body and doesn't get cold when wet, a fleece type layer over that acts like your sleeping bag in that it allows your body to thermo regulate itself, and good quality rain gear does the same job as your tent. Not only will a well thought-out clothing system make you less miserable, it could very well save your life. Have fun and can't wait to see photos!

I bought the Helley Hansen bibs and top in 2012. I definitely recommend them. This was the first set of rain gear I've owned that didn't leak. I beat some brush while wearing the bibs on a wet day this past deer season, and shredded the finish off the legs, so I'll have to reseal or replace them if they start leaking. They aren't cheap, but they work.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu