Almost legal

HortoTheSlayer

May 17, 2018
Boise Idaho
For my 10yr wedding anniversary last week my wife got me a new rod and real. I mentioned to her last year that I've only ever bought combos usually under $40 ever since I started fishing..usually buying Shakespeare ugly sticks. She was able to get help from a good buddy of mine to put together a great setup that I could use for the surf and fresh water. She got me a 7'6 MH Okuma Epixor rod and a Cadence Stout 3000 reel and some 30# spiderwire stealth braid.

I took the weekend off Turkey hunting to hang out with my wife for our anniversary weekend. She's recovering from a surgery so we celebrated at home but she kept telling me to go out and catch something with my new fishing pole.

I hit the surf Saturday morning at a new beach I had never been to about 40 min from home. I took some mussel meat for bait but really wanted to try and catch something on my lucky craft 110 that I bought last year that I hadn't been able to hook up on. I got there at low tide to try and scope out the beach and try to spot and structure in the water and sure enough I saw a good amount. There was lots of structure so I figured a halibut might be lurking trying to ambush some bait fish coming in. Fished for 2 hrs and then I felt something smash my lure and felt some head shakes..I continue to bring it in and sure enough it was a halibut. It looked big but wasn't sure if it was legal..it came in around 20" so I took some pics and sent it on it's way. My wife was super excited for me when I sent her the pictures. Fished another 2 hrs but no more action. Overall it was a great morning!! I had a mean case of Blue bobbers so it was nice to land a fish. Think I was going on 4 months lol

20210403_090502.jpg

20210403_091303.jpg

20210403_110016.jpg

20210403_105950.jpg

20210403_110131.jpg

Try for those Hali’s when the grunion are running. They’re just sitting there in the shallows waiting on a grunion dinner.

PS, just put my skippy in the shop... let me know when you’re ready to try open water.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Try for those Hali’s when the grunion are running. They’re just sitting there in the shallows waiting on a grunion dinner.

PS, just put my skippy in the shop... let me know when you’re ready to try open water.
That morning I could see tons of bait fish swimming near shore..I could not tell if they were grunions or not but figured I was in a good area to get one.

& never fished open waters..I was just telling me wife that I wanted to go on a charter boat next month for my bday..keep me posted..I'll join ya sometime

Reactions: Nuevo

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu