Am I overthinking this??

Bronkorob

Dec 24, 2018
Ive been reading up on the CA regulations for who, what, when, and where I can hunt coyotes. First time Ive attempted hunting in CA, compared to Utah, its pretty insane how much vague info, weird verbiage, bad links, old info, and random possibly conflicting info is out there!!!

Trying to wrap my head around some of the areas near by I might be able to hunt. More or less a sanity check. DFG is closed today and Ive got these all written down for them when they get back in, but Id like to go scout out some areas until then. And not waste time to only find out there is some reason I cant use that area.

Ive got OnX and its been super helpful, along with some other mapping software, ive got a lot of potential near by. Wild life areas....specifically San Felipe, both locations, because its a wilderness area is lead free, regardless of other state laws? Also no vehicles of any kind allowed, all on foot? Game restrictions?

BLM, follows the 3 phase lead laws, non lead shotgun, rifle Im good until next year. What is a wilderness study area? Is there any kind of hunting or travel restrictions placed on these areas that are within regular BLM land boundries?

Then NF, seems to be same rules as BLM as far as ammo, distance from roads, houses, etc. Or are there differences in regulations when it comes to BLM and NF that one should be aware of?

Im looking at the beauty mountain wilderness area which is BLM and the San Felipe Wildlife area.

Thanks for any help advice oyu can send my way to keep me head from spinning any more.

Good luck on researching and interpreting all of the laws and regulations in California. Can't have lead, straws, plastic bags... Sorry, I can't help you... Bamboozling. Ed F

Guys if one tries to look at the whole overall picture. It will be over whelming.

Dissect it part by part. Then throw it in here and put our heads together.
Starting in July 2019 non lead period.
NF follow the state regulations.
Wildlife areas have their own crazy rules. Each will different and not well clarified. San Felipe has its closure and
Only allows shotgun in East of the road.
No rifles. And it's closed part of the year. Go to the web site for the exact regulations.
Break down in manageble digestible chunks.

San Felipe Wildlife area, I got some answers from DFG, but the person I talked to said she was no expert and gave me the name and number of the expert. She said to bear with him, he is busy and may take some time to get back to you. One big answer I got was no lead ammo for both shotgun AND rifle.

Really, the only questions I didn't get answers to was if coyote was legal, until the area closes in a few weeks. I said I was interested in coyote and she said she thinks the area is open for coyote, so that kind of made me wonder if there are animal restrictions.

The other one was for the oak grove area, if I could just park near the gate on the 79, without blocking it, and walk thru the gate. There is a sign on all the gates I saw that mentioned something similar to no public access. Wonder if that was directed to vehicles driving only or all access. One gat wasn't locked, just latched.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
@Bronkorob for the question on Oak Grove, I believe that is within the Palomar Ranger District and so it would be good to call their office 760-788-0250. They will be able to tell you the best ways to access CNF and where to park. The gal at the front desk knows a lot or she may transfer you to Lee Hamm who handles Recreational uses of the CNF within the district.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
West of the road I believe is now shotgun only.
I am starting to for get stuff. It's good to verify every time before we go out.
The other wild life area by 94 is shotgun only if it hasn't changed.
All wild life areas are non lead.

San Felipe Wildlife area, I got some answers from DFG, but the person I talked to said she was no expert and gave me the name and number of the expert. She said to bear with him, he is busy and may take some time to get back to you. One big answer I got was no lead ammo for both shotgun AND rifle.

Really, the only questions I didn't get answers to was if coyote was legal, until the area closes in a few weeks. I said I was interested in coyote and she said she thinks the area is open for coyote, so that kind of made me wonder if there are animal restrictions.

The other one was for the oak grove area, if I could just park near the gate on the 79, without blocking it, and walk thru the gate. There is a sign on all the gates I saw that mentioned something similar to no public access. Wonder if that was directed to vehicles driving only or all access. One gat wasn't locked, just latched.
What are you looking to hunt in San Felipe?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

There are no restrictions on legal game in the SFWA.....Only seasons and weapons.....Basically, it's closed from the end of turkey season (May 12th) till the opener of dove (Sept. 1st).....Shotgun and bow only west of S-2.....East of S-2 is rifle as well.....And as mentioned, everything is non lead.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu