Ammo recommendations please

WingWhacker

Jul 30, 2014
san dimas
Soooo I've got a hog hunt schedule with Neil in a few months and need a ammo recommendation. I'll be sportin the tikka t3 in 270. win. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

never shot a pig.... but if it were me I would use a barnes ttsx!! it'll blow right through the shield on the pigs shoulder.

Im pretty sure that Neils operation is run in the lead free zone anyways so that drastically limits you on your bullet choices

A few lead free bullets: Barnes bullets (tax, ttsx, lrx), Hornady gmx, Nosler Etip, and there are a few other companies who are turning lead free bullets on the leathe or cnc machine, super expensive but they boast accuracy.... idk if i buy it but just use the barnes they are super great for thick tough skinned game.

If it is in a lead free zone for sure, just find some ammo, maybe 130 to 150 grain, and see what shoots and groups best with your gun.

Barnes TTSX great stuff shoots tight and provides ethical kills. You will be hard pressed to find people who don't like them.

I shoot ttsx exclusively. It's really good stuff. My son got a nice hog with a 223 ttsx 63g last year at 150 yards. Small entry no exit and it had near perfect mushroom with no loss of weight. The hog took 3 steps and went down. By the time we got to it 150yards away it was dead dead

Hornady 130gr GMX. They make it in there Full Boar & Superformance line. Haven't had a single issue yet. It shoots great out of my rifles. Also it has a better B.C. Then the Barnes. It's also about $10.00 cheaper

Neil's properties are 100% in the lead-free zone. Both the Barnes and Hornady GMX have killed pigs for me there using my 30-06

Nicholas909 said:
Hornady 130gr GMX. They make it in there Full Boar & Superformance line. Haven't had a single issue yet. It shoots great out of my rifles. Also it has a better B.C. Then the Barnes. It's also about $10.00 cheaper

What he said^^^ I know a guy shooting the same rig & cal with great results

Bonejour said:
Neil's properties are 100% in the lead-free zone. Both the Barnes and Hornady GMX have killed pigs for me there using my 30-06

Well then, I'll just have to take em both to the range and see which my rifle likes. Thanks for all the good info!

Barnes ttsx is the best way to go for lead free. I shot my pig this year with 130 grain Barnes bullet and it completely blew up the shoulder and still passed completely through. I shoot them for everything now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 on the TTSX. I've been reloading them for years. The important thing is take a few different types and see what your rifle likes. I've talked to guys who swear by them and also people that hate copper. i personally destroyed a 175# pig with a 85g TTSX out of a .243. You've heard time and time again, shot placement is the key.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu