Another fishing report during turkey season

WaterDawg

Nov 20, 2016
Visited San Vicente reservoir last weekend. Haven’t fished there since it reopened. Expected a solid bass bite based on reports but slow for us.

Around noon we were about to call it and I decided to try a spy bait I rarely use. Rarely because it is only good in fairly deep, snag-free water where you can cast a long distance and let it sink. Most water like that isn’t fishy. San V has lots of that water and this lure has worked in the past when nothing else was getting a sniff.

Anyway I caught two bass on my first three casts, then got three gigantic bluegills (each well over a pound). The gills fight harder than bass pound for pound, and everything that hits this lure hits it hard. I’ve caught bass, catfish, Crappie and bluegill all on this lure.
59CB9A68-2BFD-4112-A658-039BB2C397DB.jpeg
If you’re a fisher and haven’t already, give this technique a try.

AFD33911-27D8-43EC-ABFC-E79F8604331E.png

Reactions: DoubleTrouble
Nice Kevin.....At 14 bucks a whack.....I'd have that lure on 50 lb braid.....lol

ps....Looks like a topwater bait, but sinks?
Hey Steve, yes it sinks. I was using 6 lb mono leader and 10lb braid on a spinning outfit. You can cast it a mile, count to ten and retried VERY slowly. The engineering is excellent, the props will spin at high RPM at extremely slow retrieve and put out a surprising amount of flash, and the body gently wobbles. You can google videos on Spybaiting, it’s huge in Japan.

Sweet stuff. I never got into spy baiting when it picked up steam in So Cal, but good gawd lots of guys hammered the schooling fish in the summer with those.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Drake Dunn
Sweet stuff. I never got into spy baiting when it picked up steam in So Cal, but good gawd lots of guys hammered the schooling fish in the summer with those.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I haven’t done it much either. I generally prefer topwater, spinnerbaits and other stuff with 15 lb line that you can pull hard on. But in our hard-fished lakes finesse is often the only option. Spybaiting is no good in shallow, weedy, or murky water but perfect for places like San V and DVL. I plan to do it more often.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu