Another huge D16 Buck

NBK

Trying to be the man my dog thinks I am.
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Mar 8, 2011
San Diego, Ca.
I don't know this guy as it was emailed to me by Ghosthunter. I thought it worthy to post. Here is the actual story.

Yo Dudes ,

Here he is 23 inches at the widest , nice heavy beams . 5x5 . One of the beams broke off but still got a chunk on there ,so I ended up tagging it out as a 4x5 since it was broke .

Saw this guy Thursday when I was walking back to my truck right at dark. Noticed a deer raised my rifle and saw it was a doe so I started walking away . All of a sudden this dude pops up from behind a bush and runs off . I dropped my pack and ran to where they were , and they were gone . I busted the brush and he took off across a ravine I ended up taking 3 shots at him and missed them all . I knew he was a big deer but not how big .

Went back Friday afternoon someone was in the place I wanted to hunt so I split and went down the road .The other hunter ended up shooting a buck literally 10 minutes later. About 1/4 mile down the road after crossing a ridge I happened to look back and noticed him slipping across another ridge . I had to take a shot even though he was about 350 yards , "way out of my shooting abilities" , needless to say I missed .

Took the weekend off . Went to my spot at 0430 got setup . Around 0600 I noticed a car coming in . The A- holes saw my car but decided they really wanted to be there so they weaseled in . Had a few fine words and a finger for them , but I split and went down the road . Jumped a doe by itself and ended up glassing for a while. Noticed a doe across the canyon and watched it for a few minutes when three more does and a forky came out . They kept looking around nervously and then he came strolling in . They fed for about 45 minutes and started moving off . When they were behind the ridge I hauled ass across the canyon didn't notice any deer right away . The doe broke first and he followed , I missed the first shot at him running away , regained what little composure I had and whacked him @ 180 yards with the next shot .

Damn thing had a death wish . Took 3 days and 6 shots . Its gonna be hard to top this one . But I still have an A22 . I personally watched 3 bucks come out of here . And saw tons of does .

I need a lazy day of hunting Doves in Yuma !!!!!

Attachments

• deer1.JPG
    deer1.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
  • deer2.JPG
    deer2.JPG
    994.5 KB · Views: 26
I may be way off but the bigger deer I saw this year were holding tight u almost had to get in shotgun range to get them out of there beds. No need to correct me if I'm wrong but that's just what I noticed

Sdbirds said:
I may be way off but the bigger deer I saw this year were holding tight u almost had to get in shotgun range to get them out of there beds. No need to correct me if I'm wrong but that's just what I noticed

I have seen both...

Congrats to the hunter on a HUGE buck!

But....."I had to take a shot even though he was about 350 yards , "way out of my shooting abilities" , needless to say I missed ." ????? :-[

A lot of folks do not practice beyond 100 yards. And a lot more do not understand the ballistics of the caliber they shoot. Regardless 350 yards is a long shot and specifically if the animal is on the move. I have missed shots closer than that. It happens -

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu