Another huge D16 Buck

NBK

Trying to be the man my dog thinks I am.
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
I don't know this guy as it was emailed to me by Ghosthunter. I thought it worthy to post. Here is the actual story.

Yo Dudes ,

Here he is 23 inches at the widest , nice heavy beams . 5x5 . One of the beams broke off but still got a chunk on there ,so I ended up tagging it out as a 4x5 since it was broke .

Saw this guy Thursday when I was walking back to my truck right at dark. Noticed a deer raised my rifle and saw it was a doe so I started walking away . All of a sudden this dude pops up from behind a bush and runs off . I dropped my pack and ran to where they were , and they were gone . I busted the brush and he took off across a ravine I ended up taking 3 shots at him and missed them all . I knew he was a big deer but not how big .

Went back Friday afternoon someone was in the place I wanted to hunt so I split and went down the road .The other hunter ended up shooting a buck literally 10 minutes later. About 1/4 mile down the road after crossing a ridge I happened to look back and noticed him slipping across another ridge . I had to take a shot even though he was about 350 yards , "way out of my shooting abilities" , needless to say I missed .

Took the weekend off . Went to my spot at 0430 got setup . Around 0600 I noticed a car coming in . The A- holes saw my car but decided they really wanted to be there so they weaseled in . Had a few fine words and a finger for them , but I split and went down the road . Jumped a doe by itself and ended up glassing for a while. Noticed a doe across the canyon and watched it for a few minutes when three more does and a forky came out . They kept looking around nervously and then he came strolling in . They fed for about 45 minutes and started moving off . When they were behind the ridge I hauled ass across the canyon didn't notice any deer right away . The doe broke first and he followed , I missed the first shot at him running away , regained what little composure I had and whacked him @ 180 yards with the next shot .

Damn thing had a death wish . Took 3 days and 6 shots . Its gonna be hard to top this one . But I still have an A22 . I personally watched 3 bucks come out of here . And saw tons of does .

I need a lazy day of hunting Doves in Yuma !!!!!

Attachments

• deer1.JPG
    deer1.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
  • deer2.JPG
    deer2.JPG
    994.5 KB · Views: 26
Wow nice one.. a big old and what should have been smart deer that just didn't take the hint to leave town despite the hunting pressure

I may be way off but the bigger deer I saw this year were holding tight u almost had to get in shotgun range to get them out of there beds. No need to correct me if I'm wrong but that's just what I noticed

Sdbirds said:
I may be way off but the bigger deer I saw this year were holding tight u almost had to get in shotgun range to get them out of there beds. No need to correct me if I'm wrong but that's just what I noticed

I have seen both...

Congrats to the hunter on a HUGE buck!

But....."I had to take a shot even though he was about 350 yards , "way out of my shooting abilities" , needless to say I missed ." ????? :-[

A lot of folks do not practice beyond 100 yards. And a lot more do not understand the ballistics of the caliber they shoot. Regardless 350 yards is a long shot and specifically if the animal is on the move. I have missed shots closer than that. It happens -

Back