Another wonderful year chasing the Lords deer

KoozeDeer

Jul 18, 2016
Well another season of Coues deer hunting has come and gone. @holydiver dad and myself left a few days before the season to do some scouting. Weather was great and the moon phase was in our favor. We found a couple great bucks and Chad and dad were tagged out on opening day! We had an incredible run in with a lion at night and unfortunately we’re not able to kill him as I had a tag itching to be filled. We packed up camp and had our ceremonial breakfast in Tucson at my dad’s favorite restaurant called The Crying Onion. Chad and my dad headed home and I was off for my own hunt in a different unit.
I hired an outfitter for a “guide only” hunt in a unit that was managed as a trophy hunt. I had the expectation to eat my tag as I had a goal in mind for a special deer. We hunted hard for 5 days, my guide and myself were in the glass every day from sun up till sun down except for one day when we relocated and had some lunch. After passing on many bucks, some approached the 100” mark we found an absolute monster of a buck. The deer had 6 points that we could see on one side plus eye guards. The trouble was I had 20 min till sundown and he was 2400 yards away. I made a mad dash and could only make it 1200 or so yards from the deer until I ran out of light. Too little too late but I finally saw a buck of a lifetime. All and all it was a great hunt and my guide was a real professional and hunted his tail off.
A very memorable year and so happy to have the experience, not all tags were filled, but the true measure of the experience was not in inches but in memories made. Thankful for a great year in Arizona, thank you to Chad and my dad for being there together another great year!IMG_8541.jpegIMG_8554.jpegIMG_8573.jpegIMG_8576.jpegIMG_8572.jpegIMG_8555.jpeg72117768048__9032F5D0-8400-4933-98CB-DEEEDE83D484.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
What an an awesome adventure. A dream hunt for sure. That nitetime lion encounter sounds intriguing for sure. Any details ?

Awesome congrats on another successful hunt. We are headed that way next weekend. I just bought one of those Kodiak Canvas tents 10x14. How do you like it? I am gonna have the owner in the podcast they are all hunters we talked for a while.

Reactions: Stikbrandon
Awesome congrats on another successful hunt. We are headed that way next weekend. I just bought one of those Kodiak Canvas tents 10x14. How do you like it? I am gonna have the owner in the podcast they are all hunters we talked for a while.
They really are great tents! I love myn

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu