Any Fly Fisherman Here?

cwb07

Mar 5, 2013
Orange
I know I've seen some pictures of people bow fishing but was curios to see if there were any fly fisherman? I recently started getting into it by borrowing friends set ups while backpacking. I am going to Bob Marriott's in Fullerton this weekend to get my own rod and reel. I am thinking about getting the Orvis Clearwater 5wt. I am open to suggestions if you guys can recommend another company. I am trying not to spend more than $350 and that Orvis pole has a 25 year warranty which is attractive, plus it's Orvis so you can't really go wrong. Not sure if a 5wt is too much for what I'll be doing though. Most of my fishing is in the San Gabriels, Los Angeles Mountains, and 2-3 times a year I backpack around the Eastern Sierras.

AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
PICK ME PICK ME!
Ok, for real though. 5wt is probably WAY to much especially if you are staying local. I have been backpacking and fly fishing the sierras and kern area for the last 5 years. Anyway, some key questions, dry flies or nymphing? Also, what length? I'm assuming 9ft? 2or 4 piece? I would look at the TFO, (temple fork outfitters). Very fair priced and no fault lifetime warranty. Shut it in the door send it back and they will replace the damaged section. Or look at the Echo, also a nice entry level rod with a lifetime warranty.
Let me throw this out before you go to a show since lately show prices have been a joke. check out flyfishingaddicts.com it is very similar to this site mostly local guys who fish the LA area and very familiar with those waterways as well. Once you've decided your wt and length (really depending on time of year and where, you will probably want more than one rod). There is also a classifieds section, then you can also check amazon. I've found the best prices there.
Also, my 2 cents, If you are a multiple day no running back to the car trip I always take two, 4 piece rods, a 9ft 3wt for dries and a 9ft 4 wt incase they just aren't taking off the top or I need to run a dropper or I break one, that will ruin a trip. I know some people that will run 0wt for the local LA waters because most are under 12 inches and you are throwing dries anyway.
There is about a million more question I can throw out to narrow it down but I hope this helps.
Let me know if you have more questions, and I'm toying with the idea of a cast and blast for quail or dove come October in Kern when the flows are perfect and the birds are flying ;D

Hey dude, fly fishing rocks. Good choice.

Here's a second opinion, for what it's worth. I started with a 5wt Orvis Clearwater. I love that rod and it is still my go-to. I bought a 8'6", 5 wt for my wife at Albright Tackle Very reasonably priced and a really good rod. I liked hers so much I bought a 9' for my step-dad and another one for myself (as a spare) (http://www.albrightflyfish.com/gpx-fly-rods.html). I then went on to buy a 7, 9, and 5 piece 3 wt (for backpacking) from Albright. There's some cheap-o stuff out there but for me these guys have good value for money. They also have reels at a decent price. I always hand line fish on the fly, so the reel is just a line holder. No use spending too much on it unless you're setting up a tuna rig.

The most versatile rod for me is a 9 ft, 5 wt. I fish teeny trout in the San Gabriels, and anything up in the sierras. It may be overkill for those but it casts really nice. I have also used it to fish bass and carp (to 10 lbs) locally. I use it everywhere, just scaling my tippet a bit.

Great point on the reel msteiger. I honestly don't think I've "reeled" In a fish on the fly. It's usually by hand.
Cwb07, let me look into it. I know there is a place were you can "demo" rods aka they've got an area for casting because really at 350 rod and reel you've got a lot of options and you need to find what feels best in your hand and gives you best casting. Another thing to consider is are you a powerhouse or finese person. Lighter wt typically more action but you'll have to be more purposeful in your casting while a heavier wt will give you more control but might not be as exciting for smaller fish.
It's like shooting quail opening day with 6s as opposed to 7 1/2s both get the job done and both are good, but what do you like?

I have a Redington and a TFO. Plus some others but I forgot the names... The Redington is by far my fly rod I have ever used (I've used a lot). Check out those Redingtons though.

Thanks for the information guys. I ended up not going to Bob Marriott's on Saturday, ended up fighting a cold and a pork shoulder on my smoker.

I am looking for a 8.5ft-9ft pole and preferably 4 piece so I can easily stick it on the side of my backpack. As far as the fly's (dry or nymph) I am not quite there yet at knowing what to use. I am 6'4 and somewhat uncoordinated so I need a forgiving pole ha. It seems like a 5wt 9ft pole would probably make it a bit easier for casting although I kind of have that done, especially if it's windy out.

I also hear that a fly fishing pole is like a pair of shoes, it's something that you have to try on first before buying. I'll probably end up going to Bob Marriott's just to feel some ones out and then order online.

Btw there is a free fly tying workshop tomorrow night at 6pm at the REI in Tustin. I might head on down after work.

I got that exactly 9' #5-6, I am 6'4". I don't use that rod at all anymore... Just sitting collecting dust. Awesome rod though. Caught some nice browns on it

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu