Anyone backpack the Sierra's...

Papi, we only ate the small rainbows we caught out of Gem. A little olive oil and some seasoning and they tasted amazing. The lakes behind me in the two photos are Agnew and Clark. Clark is somewhere around 11,000'

Attachments

• DSCN0265 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN0265 (640x480).jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 304
  • DSCN0403 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN0403 (640x480).jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 300
  • DSCN0284 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN0284 (640x480).jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 292
  • DSCN0344 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN0344 (640x480).jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 292
Hey Breacher, I have caught some big bows in gem. Have you ever went past Gem up to alger lakes for those beautiful goldens. It is a long hike but well worth it.

khartter said:
Hey Breacher, I have caught some big bows in gem. Have you ever went past Gem up to alger lakes for those beautiful goldens. It is a long hike but well worth it.

Nope but I plan to someday. We hiked past Waugh to Clark and Weber Lakes. Our last trip was a bit of a speed run. Only 2 nights.

Few more Pictures for ya.

Fish

ThousandLakesWildernestEilerLake6.jpg

Cutthroat03Rooseveltlakes.jpg

CragLakeTahoe.jpg

CottonwoodLakesjuly200327.jpg

Beautiful back country
CotonwoodLakes7-0621.jpg
CotonwoodLakes7-067.jpg
CottonwoodLakesjuly200334.jpg
CottonwoodLakesjuly200323.jpg

see any thing? :) there were 3 more I wasn't able to get a photo of all with velvet racks
CotonwoodLakes7-064.jpg

Those are some great pictures. I hiked up to Gem Lake back in high school with my bro and another buddy. Never caught any fish like those, I need to get back up there. Maybe next year.

I know this isan old thread but figured I'd post anyways. Thinking of getting a pack in hopes of being able to do some backpacking this summer. Any suggestions on one?

OCOutdoors said:
I know this isan old thread but figured I'd post anyways. Thinking of getting a pack in hopes of being able to do some backpacking this summer. Any suggestions on one?

Do what I did, go down to REI or other specialty store and try on the packs. REI will actually have sand bags you can put in the packs to see what it will really feel like with all your gear. You'll need to have an idea of how long you plan to backpack (number of days/nights) and distance you'll be hiking. The average weight is about 10 pounds per day up to a certain point. My pack weights about 50 pounds for a 4-5 day trip. Ultralight backpackers can do it with less but they fine tune it to a point that doesn't interest me.

Packs designed for longer trips have significantly more padding than packs for shorter trips.

I personally skimped on my first pack and bought a less expensive one. First trip with it I decided I should have spent the extra money and bought something more comfortable, so I did. Don't order one online unless you've tried it on. Each brand/model will come in different sizes. You want to make sure it fits. You really do get what you pay for too.

I have a Gregory Baltoro 75. I LOVE it. I use it for my backpack bowhunts as well. Im sure there are other packs out there that are equally as good if not better for what YOU need. REI's prices probably wont be the best. Find the pack you like there then see if you can find it cheaper online.

Thanks for the input. I have a Cabelas external frame pack now that I've used a few times on backpack hunts and hauled out some game but thinking of something more comfortable. I've been thinking of going to REI and I think they actually rent packs too. I've been looking at Eberlestock online for a pack I can use for both hunting and just backpacking, I like the Destroyer but not much of a meat pack compared to others like the J34. Have you hauled meat in yours?

OCOutdoors said:
Thanks for the input. I have a Cabelas external frame pack now that I've used a few times on backpack hunts and hauled out some game but thinking of something more comfortable. I've been thinking of going to REI and I think they actually rent packs too. I've been looking at Eberlestock online for a pack I can use for both hunting and just backpacking, I like the Destroyer but not much of a meat pack compared to others like the J34. Have you hauled meat in yours?

Yep, packed a bear and deer in my Gregory pack. I will admit though, the recreational packs for backpacking aren't really designed for hunting use. The hunting packs are designed to hold rifles, bows and are configured differently to allow the packing of meat, like a hind quarter. I had to jerry rig straps for my bow but it worked. I just de-boned the animals and threw them in a game bag. If I could afford to have multiple packs, I would. This one suits me fine though for multiple uses.

John_Gilmore said:
Old Thread... but it came up and looks amazing. When is the best time of the year to go?

Summer months. June-August is when I like to go. You gotta keep track of the current trail conditions. Late snow will make it difficult to follow them. At the higher elevations it will be around 80 during the day and cool at nights. Very nice weather.

It's hard for me to backpack anymore without it being a hunting trip. We did Mt Whitney from Onion Valley a couple years ago (60 miles). In july we are taking the Cottonwood Trail to the top with a side loop (75 miles). Beautiful country.... Ed F

8ea6f203-467d-42c3-9f6c-87681f4777e5_zps362fb052.jpg

Attachments

• 8ea6f203-467d-42c3-9f6c-87681f4777e5_zps362fb052.jpg
    8ea6f203-467d-42c3-9f6c-87681f4777e5_zps362fb052.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 1
That's a great pic., and beautiful country. It's good always to have trips planned so you keep motivated and fit.

I agree.... Getting in shape right now. I like the B&W... the color adds a different perspective. This is on the way up to Forester Pass, 13,200'. You have to be there to appreciate it... Ed F

MtWhitney_zpsd39f2e97.jpg

Attachments

• MtWhitney_zpsd39f2e97.jpg
    MtWhitney_zpsd39f2e97.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 0
65b4fc15cd9da02e2360b22d725d9814.jpg
great hike

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu