Anyone been hunting on Mt. Pinos?

marella31

Aug 14, 2012
Ventura County, CA
I've been hiking here and have not seen any wildlife what so ever but I hear hunting there is pretty good. I have parked at the top of the mountain and hiked for hours all around.

Anyone seen deer, bear, quail up there? or hunted them?

Replying late to this thread. Been busy scouting myself in A zone. Man it's hot out there. Anyway:

Mt Pinos is in D13 and is pretty high up but it holds a lot of wildlife in those canyons. Probably the biggest reason that you're not seeing much game sign is that this year is very dry and open water is hard to find. Even some of the more "reliable" streams that I know of are dry or are down to mere trickles. So most of the deer aren't roaming so widely.

To find game you need to do things in the right order. 1. Get a good map and look for water holes and streams & possible feed areas like Oak trees and potreros for socializing. 2. Get a couple/three good game cameras. 3. Make a plan that involves at least knowing where you want to go/how to get in & out without relying on a GPS, taking some food & more water than you think you'll ever need, having cold water & food in the truck for when you make it back, and a backup plan. 4. Go scout based on your plan and hang your cameras if you feel the area is worth it. 5. Evaluate the pictures you get on the game cameras and either stay where you are or move the cameras to new areas you think are better. 6. Get out there and HUNT! when the season opens.

I have hunted Mt. Pinos many times. The key to the area is to scout many different parts of the mountain. One year a certain location will have more deer then people and the next year you won't even see squirrels. The one thing I did notice hunting up there is if I didn't see squirrels I didn't see any deer either. It's just an observation, I don't know if it has any scientific truth to it

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu