Anyone scout for doves/hunt in Imperial County?

I drove out there from Poway early Thursday morning and scored a hunting release from Bob's Hay Farm (Brundy properties) and also drove north to check out all the posted huntable land up north nearer the Salton Sea, and MAN did I underestimate how much driving I would do! Glad I scouted, but although I found decent land I didn't see any doves. Anyone know of good spots this time of year? Looking to hunt next weekend with another newb.

Thx.

After deer season u will have better luck

Drive around find a flightpath. Afternoon hit treelines. Look for lots a birds

Thx SDbirds, I saw a huge flock of big white birds but not doves. Also I was there mostly midday so I probably missed their morning/evening activity. I'll do another scout before I plan to hunt.

PS - I have no smart phone/GPS so imagine what a pain in the ass that was! Thank God for good old-fashioned nav and maps.

I was down South of El Centro on Sunday and not very many birds there.
I struggled to get 3 birds and and left around 10:00.
I hear there are more birds up around Brawley but I don't want to drive that far if I don't have to ;D

Jim did you hunt on Brundy farmland? That's about as south as you can get without crossing the border.

Yeah trying to drive the 98 and then heading north is a nightmare. You just feel like you're driving all day. At this point I'd be happy with 3 doves... and am wondering if I should refocus on turkeys instead.

Ur I the zone I hunt ALL OVER THAT VALLEY and kill everything just go do it

I did see a nice big coyote which crossed my path on the 98, for those of you who hunt yotes...

sdbirds what are you bagging out there???

Brawley is all private, but glad to hear there's more up there. Seems more populated too though. I'm trying to imagine where would be far enough from roads/traffic/buildings to hunt.

SA, there are a lot of opened fields up there. Google DFG/desert wildlife unlimited and see what combers up. The fields are more up around Niland. There's a lot of open land there. Go up early and scope it out. : )

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk

longbowhunter2 said:
it's getting tough the farmers are posting no trespassing more & more. ???I was there 2 years ago it as tough scouting. ::)

You should see the massive solar fields that sprung up over the last year. :-\ :'(

Suburban Adventuress said:
I did see a nice big coyote which crossed my path on the 98, for those of you who hunt yotes...

sdbirds what are you bagging out there???

Brawley is all private, but glad to hear there's more up there. Seems more populated too though. I'm trying to imagine where would be far enough from roads/traffic/buildings to hunt.

Ducks, geese, dove, quail, rabbits, pheasant, coyotes, bobcats, pigeons, snipe, squirrels I don't think I left anything out lol

I was in complete shock driving out there and seeing all the solar fields plus all the windmills in the desert.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu